myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
a few observatons, questions and rants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
The crazy thing is the 11'8 Exocet WindSup is not exactly a light board, 15.8 kg and 14.3 (wood). For comparison the Bic 11'6 SupWind (which has a dagger board) 15.0 kg. Not saying the Bic is better or ever equal, it's a new board, but just used purely for weight comparison for a 11'6 board made the Bic way (TS). Here's a breakdown of the process copied from their website.
This technology is relevant to the CTS and TS boards, which are boards made from a low-density polystyrene core, covered by a fibreglass coat with carbon fibre reinforcements. Resin is then applied to this fibre, and the whole mix undergoes a high-pressure thermoforming procedure in one single process. That gives optimum results from the materials, reducing weight and giving a performance equal to more expensive sandwich construction boards but with much better resistance to knocks than Epoxy Sandwich.
• CTS : Stiffness, light weight and strength. Incorporates uni-directional carbon fibre reinforcements along the rails und under the footpad (Techno 293 One Design).
• TS : Compromise weight/strength with glass fibre reinforcements at all the important points on the board (Techno / Core / Nova).

umm are you the same outhaul that wrote this ?

If one gets a bad board is it the brand or just a bad day at Cobra? Is it the same workers simply rotating from one brand to the next? I just can't imagine an "Exocet wing" for example, where only Exocets are made. How can we effectively judge quality before purchasing? This is especially on my mind because of some of the issues surrounding the Exocet WindSup. Great board but more than a few of us have had problems. I was well taken care of by Steve at Sandy Point, the US distributor for Exocet, when my board started cracking after only a couple of outings. Again, is it the brand, or is it just a shortcoming in technique by Cobra workers while producing that particular board for that brand on that day?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I get your point.
My point is that Bic's TS construction is not heavy compared to some traditional construction techniques in a similar sized board. Not talking shape or performance due to shape, just weight.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
Not sure I get your point.
My point is that Bic's TS construction is not heavy compared to some traditional construction techniques in a similar sized board. Not talking shape or performance due to shape, just weight.

The point is lost on this because I was. Sorry.

I mixed up your Exocet VS BIC materials .

When this discussion turns to SUPs I can not really comment on the construction. I have seen on a few different fronts that the SUPs made in China have a weak area in the side fin boxes.

FWIW my Exocet wave board has an additional bottom wood layer compared to others.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to the original poster, this may be relevant.

As an ordinary committed windsurfer of long standing, I've just today flicked through the pages of our last remaining monthly windsurfing magazine on the newsagents shelves, and not bothered to buy it. Apart from a single 'how to' article (a rehash of a rehash of a rehash) it had nothing of relevance to what any normal windsurfer I've ever sailed with or known could, or even want to, try to do.

The bulk of it was pictures and articles of elite world class windsurfers doing 'impossible' things in insane conditions of the kind any 'normal' windsurfer would never ever go out in. (Or survive if he did!)

It was great as a spectacle, but pointless as any kind of encouragement or help to anybody wishing to try the sport. Compare it with cycling. There were eight different monthly cycling magazines on the shelves (one of which I bought) filled mostly with pictures and articles of things which any keen normal enthusiast could tackle, or aspire to. The message being conveyed is that this sport is accessible, so join us and DO it!

Should anybody be surprised that with windsurfing painting itself as an extreme elite only activity, aided and abetted by advertising and media, that S.U.P. with its inferior sailing qualities is now the mainstream sport of the masses, while windsurfing is simply fading out in most everyday non perfect real world locations?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT

in respect to the typical windsurfer not sailing in extreme conditions and inventing new tricks with clever names.....

I have seen both motorcycles and snowmobiles take this past the extreme,

its more a side show than a actual sport, I think the carnival atmosphere does bring people to purchase on Monday what they saw in person or TV on Sunday.

I agree with your thoughts, just looking at the WHY

3-phase

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT perfect said. Windsurfing is from cruising around on a SUP or Cruising WS board to hardcore wave double back flip and a 55-liter speed needle going 52 knots an hour. But the reality is 95 % will cruise around in 5 to 15 miles wind and enjoy the day, we made a board line that is focused on 5 to 15 miles wind and it s great to hang around on the water an just enjoy the beauty of the sport. We get good feedback from our customer’s ones they release them self from the big $ Advertising shackles suggestions everybody should sail an 85-liter board and a 4.2 sail Laughing

Aloha
Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: