myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Keystone pipe dream, or pipeline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
I took my kids to Snowbird/Alta in April. They could out ski any kid on that mountain in their sleep. They were laughing at the steeps. Skiing out west is a awesome but you are delusional if you think it is more challenging than New England. Anyone can look like a stud in soft snow. whatever!!!!

If Gerry Brown ever needs a spoke person for the most amazing , greatest place on earth , you would be the man.

matty... I agree, there isnt a single steep at Snowbird/Alta I still love Alta though insane snow quality. Obviosuly you have never been to Squaw. I also agree that many of the great skiiers cut their teeth on NorthEast slopes. Come out this spring, we'll hit Santa Cruz, see your favorite band Cracker(from SC), then we'll hit Squaw....and I'll let my 10 year old show you how to ski 50 dgree pitches Very Happy
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew we could agree on something eventually. I am just in a bad mood today because its crazy cold for November.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wilmot Mtn in Wisconsin has a whopping vertical drop of 200 feet. I cut my chops there in cubco bindings and lace leather boots. What I remember about New England in the 70's was ice city, more ice and lift lines as long an opera. But always a hell of a lot of fun! Colorado is where it's at or Wilmot.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the skier and skiing style. My thing was Teli bump skiing (knees objecting to it now). My areas...Telluride, Crested Butte, Taos were better than other, lower, ski areas because the cold, sunny days can keep the bumps soft for weeks without snow.

Steeps at Crested Butte rock (literally) making that area as difficult as any. Although, I will admit, I have not skied Squaw in the middle of winter...only spring conditions.

For the ultimate experience...Silverton Mountain is must do. Not for the shear steepness but for the natural aspect of it all. It is just gnarly. Steep, deep, drops, springs, sliding on logs over stream crossings...and the chairlift can scare the crap out of you in a 50 MPH wind!
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverton is special. I like the abandon bus as the ski shop. The guides are wonderful and will save your life.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have a place a few miles from the area. I used to backcountry ski that area before it was a ski area. Pretty awesome. We would have face shots 3 weeks after a dump. I have never tried the guided thing there. I do the unguided $50 tickets early and late. One of these days, I think I will stay home from Baja for the December season...it can be really good early.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$160 gets you in a helicopter that won't actually land on a precipice, because of weight. Just the skids touch as you jump off. I like wisconsin skiing.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred...did you do the hell drop? Do you remember where you went? I have hiked, climbed or skied almost everything in that area over the past thirty years. Never did a hell drop...some of those chutes are pretty crazy!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
I took my kids to Snowbird/Alta in April. They could out ski any kid on that mountain in their sleep. They were laughing at the steeps. Skiing out west is a awesome but you are delusional if you think it is more challenging than New England. Anyone can look like a stud in soft snow. whatever!!!!

If Gerry Brown ever needs a spoke person for the most amazing , greatest place on earth , you would be the man.

matty... I agree, there isnt a single steep at Snowbird/Alta I still love Alta though insane snow quality. Obviosuly you have never been to Squaw. I also agree that many of the great skiiers cut their teeth on NorthEast slopes. Come out this spring, we'll hit Santa Cruz, see your favorite band Cracker(from SC), then we'll hit Squaw....and I'll let my 10 year old show you how to ski 50 dgree pitches Very Happy

I just saw may other favorite last night at Johnny D's in Davis Square. San fran home boy Chuck Prophet. You have to go see this guy, grab his new album Night Surfer or his last album Temple Beautiful that is all about San Fran. Crackers at the Mideast in January. I love shows at small venues, hate stadium shows..
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB silverton is a dream , I love the vibe.
Matty I agree 100%... Now that I'm an old timer I'm constantly hunting down my favorite jam bands in small venues.. Because I'm a dead head and i live in Marin , I'm at Phil's joint all the time and sweetwater too.. Where bobby hangs. I'm living the Cali dream!!!
Windsurf, MTb ski , dead , buds, hot tub( that fir George sr)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: