myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I want a new sail! (1 year windsurfing experience)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost Won

Iam close to ur measurements, a Moon Pie less in weight.

For my largest board 152L, the smallest BIG sail I would consider is a 7.5,

8.5 does make a impression for next up, but like Mike of Mike & IKE said
that 1 meter will cost you a sail, maybe a mast , maybe a boom, so things in that area , money spent for performance is a thing relative to your thinking.
(others say life is short and go for it)

As well I don't SEE what sail (s) that you have NOW, the requirement for the GO and a 110L are ummmmmm different.

many of these things you can pick the way you want to make rational decisions, other times you just want to sail

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
My Gorge quiver 6.7, 5.5, 4.7, 4.2, 3.7, 3.2
My Utah quiver 9.5, 6.5, 5.5, 4.7, 4.2, 3.7

I think the OP should go 7.7, 6.2 myself.

-Craig

Yeah, agree, that'd be totally fine for him.
For some reason, he was asking about a very specific sail, a 7.2 Hellcat. Like he knew someone selling it... or had this certain sail in mind for some reason... and wanted to know, if that would be good for him. And based on his answers, all I've said (and others) is that yeah, that sail would work well for him.
IF... he can get a 7.7 on his 460 mast, AND, the boom that he already has... and it's just as easy for him to get ($)... then sure, I'd say get a 7.7 Smile

Hey Craig... nice to see somebody else with a 3M gap, at their largest size, LOL Of course mine between 11 and 8.2... is even easier to imagine than yours, between 9.5 and 6.5... at those smaller sizes, the big spacing is a bigger deal Smile
Greg -
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 7.2 Hellcat the OP was asking about reflects closely my preference for a FAST freeride sail in the 7 m range /I use a 7.4 Ka Koyote on a 112 lt RRD Firerace/ , but I don't see him using that 6.2 wave sail / if it is a wave and especially if it is a down the line one/ much longer. The last thing you want when sailing on the Great Lakes is to be under- powered . The closely set steep chop of the "washing machine" will beet you up.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As well I don't SEE what sail (s) that you have NOW, the requirement for the GO and a 110L are ummmmmm different."

I'd say, that depends...

I mean, yes, for someone very experienced. That has learned just what "they like". And knows how and when "they want" to use certain boards.

But for an athletic progressing novice, eager to learn new skills and gain experience... he could certainly use that "6.2 wave" on both boards... and it sounds like he has... and doesn't have any complaints. (He only wants a bit more power to go faster in typical winds, that's why he's considering the 7.2)

I think "this might be" a likely scenario, where he might use the 6.2 at his current and progressing skill, on both boards on the same day...
Maybe he's (165#) messing around trying to learn waterstarts in 15 knot winds with the 6.2 on his 110L shortboard. That sounds reasonable to me, and a decent kit to learn/practice those skills. On something he already owns.
And when he's tired of that and wants to actually sail somewhere... he can put that same sail on his Go board and sail around for a while. And at his current skill and in that wind... he can uphaul the 6.2 easily when he needs to. In fact, the above scene is probably reasonable for him in winds from 15 to 20. (Waterstart scene safety is a whole-nother thread, so ask about that a different time Smile

Seems totally reasonable to me.

Practically speaking,
Greg Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed :: and did indeed look for what size sail the OP has, its a 6.2m

If he has the 165L GO and another 110Liter board, how difficult or experienced does ANYONE have to be to figure out which board they want to use in a given situation?

not really the topic anyway

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jonlittle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always good when you have a lot of options when choosing a new sail so you cam compare
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when considering a wave sailing and flat water set of sails, one may wish to have good overlaps in the most commonly used sails. that way, one will not have a ruined day if the most common size gets damaged. i have an 8.3 rapid fire, 7.5, 6.8 and 6.2 phantoms, then 5.8, 5.2, 4.7 and 4.0 charges. i also use a 9.0 free speed.

the phantoms and the 5.8 charge get the most use. if one gets worked in the surf, i can rig a ready replacement. with sailing venues being sometimes so far removed from a repair place, i want to be able to not miss any more that day or the next few until the repair is completed.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
when considering a wave sailing and flat water set of sails, one may wish to have good overlaps in the most commonly used sails. that way, one will not have a ruined day if the most common size gets damaged. i have an 8.3 rapid fire, 7.5, 6.8 and 6.2 phantoms, then 5.8, 5.2, 4.7 and 4.0 charges. i also use a 9.0 free speed.

the phantoms and the 5.8 charge get the most use. if one gets worked in the surf, i can rig a ready replacement. with sailing venues being sometimes so far removed from a repair place, i want to be able to not miss any more that day or the next few until the repair is completed.

Yes... that's a very nice, And deluxe, AND hugely over-lapped quiver!
Nine sails... to cover only 9M to 4M ??
(Not that I, as well as probably many other addicts here, couldn't relate to that Smile
But... only a long-time addict, or wealthy, or sponsored, or very experienced veteran willing to carefully shop craigslist (ebay, etc) for approprite used sails... would likely put together a quiver like that Smile

Anyway, it is helpful info for our up and coming new windsurfer... but not anything he's actually going to do for quite a while, if ever.
Greg -
ghost1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I have taken a lot of time reading these posts and will take it all into consideration with what I will end up buying.

I don`t know anybody else who windsurfs, so this is very helpful.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost1 wrote:
I don`t know anybody else who windsurfs ...

Now you do. Smile

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: