myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I want a new sail! (1 year windsurfing experience)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg, the main reason i posted my thoughts is negate the idea that one should only have gear for optimal budgets and no gear failures. they do happen. yes, my sail collection is deluxe. some folks have kits in multiple locations, so what? as the SUP and kiting craze has made a lot of people neglect windsurfing, getting used gear is easy. some time down the line it will be another story, so start hoarding your gear now.

take a look at this FB pic. now that's alotta gear!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=536611176361907&set=a.470145669675125.103770.107073829315646&type=1&theater

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
the main reason i posted my thoughts is negate the idea that one should only have gear for optimal budgets and no gear failures. they do happen

Yes, you are absolutely right-if you can afford it/ have storidge/ transport etc. go for it! Why not?! It's good for you, good for the industry - it's a win win. With the years you will collect stuff anyway, it's unavoidable. But when you are just starting and have a limited budget it's probably a good idea to plan a bit ahead. The main reason behind a minimalistic quiver is that it helps you toprogress faster, to improve your stance, technic etc. simply because you'll find yourself powered up/overpowered most of the time. Speaking of mini quiver I just ran across an article by Guy Cribb that literally nocked me down . In a nutshell it's about sail trim and he insist that if you do it right and have the technique you need just 4 sails :9.5;7;5;and 4.2 to get 10-50mph wind covered for freeriding. The wave sailors ofcourse need more.Now this is minimalistic, isn't it?! The article is called :"Double shot"
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably agree with the below, except I've tried 4.2 in 50 MPH
winds, and frankly my "technique" just isn't up to it.

I would say you can get away with 9.5. 7.0, 5.0, 4.2, 3.2,
but you know, sometimes a 4.7 or a 3.7 are just right. ;*)

-Craig

adywind wrote:
I just ran across an article by Guy Cribb that literally nocked me down . In a nutshell it's about sail trim and he insist that if you do it right and have the technique you need just 4 sails :9.5;7;5;and 4.2 to get 10-50mph wind covered for freeriding. The wave sailors ofcourse need more.Now this is minimalistic, isn't it?! The article is called :"Double shot"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: