myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mexican dentistry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Mexican dentistry Reply with quote

I am needing a lot of work, extractions, implants, crowns, etc... this is really unaffordable at the prices here but in Mexico it is 1/4 to 1/5th the cost.
I have a good referral from a place just across from Mesa, but I have heard there are good dentists in La Paz which is much closer to possible windsurfing does anyone care to comment?
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get it done in Belize after sailing in the morning.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember about getting implants done, particularly involving molars, is that there are significant time requirements between tooth extraction and implant installation, and between implant installation and the application of the crown. After tooth extraction, the bone needs to fill in and heal, especially with larger teeth. Similarly, after installation of the implant, time is needed for the bone to properly fuse with the titanium structure. The time spans could cover a number of months for each stage of the healing/bonding process depending on the condition of the bone and how well you heal. From what I understand, the time requirements for smaller front teeth are a bit less, especially after tooth extraction. Also, if you need to have implants installed on both sides of your mouth, you really need to do one side at a time so that you can eat and effectively chew your food.

From what I recollect, you live on Kauai. That what mean that you would need to do a lot of flying depending on how much work you need done. To keep costs down, I would recommend having tooth extractions done on Kauai, as tooth removal is very inexpensive. In my experience here in Santa Barbara, it's only about $150 for a molar.

Just as a qualifier, I will say that I have only had single teeth done at a time, so I can't comment on requirements to remove multiple teeth at one time. Still though, the time spans needed to do everything would be very similar.

Lastly, keep in mind that you can do quite well with less than the normal number of molars. Wisdom teeth aside, you can avoid replacing the very rear molars all around. That's a significant savings. That's what I have done, so I know that it's a viable strategy.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise, actually it's just one implant on the second to the back molar.
I think I want a new tooth not a bridge or a missing tooth.
Yesterday I flew to Oahu to get a root canal because we don't really have an Endodontist here. The tooth is cracked and it turned out it can't be saved.
I believe the bone is in good shape because it's not really infected now just cracked.
I will have to get it pulled ASAP and research the timeline required for an implant.
There are also several crowns and maybe veneers that need to be done.
I am told an implant can cost $5K here and maybe $1500 in Mexico.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $5K figure is quite correct in my experience, as that's what I've paid for each of the two implants that I have. I could be even more today given the high cost of gold. No question, it's an expensive venture, but definitely much better than any other alternative.

Regarding your cracked tooth, hopefully it doesn't involve one of the roots. The first implant that I needed was due to a cracked root, and it happened suddenly out of nowhere. The problem advanced so quickly, and it surprisingly resulted in substantial bone loss. To address the problem, I had to go through specialized procedure where bone material was added and retained by goretex in the tooth cavity, and it definitely extended the healing time before the implant could be installed. Remembering back, I think it was about 4-5 months.

Just a word of advice, now that you know that your tooth is history, don't waste any time getting it out. Any kind of infection can be a huge liability. You would be surprised about what can happen in just a few days. If you haven't done it already, I would recommend getting on antibiotics immediately to stem any infection growth in the time before the tooth is removed.
real-human

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good dentist in LaPaz, but she does not do implants.

There is a father son dentist in LaPaz, Tommoles(sp) that does, and people speak highly of them on other forums.

If you are serious about coming down here I will dig up the Tommales contact info for implants. pm me.

most prices I have encountered are about 1/3 of usa prices.

Last edited by real-human on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider removing both the cracked tooth and the adjacent molar. It's probably cheaper, it leaves no gap, and you may never even miss the pair. A good dentist should probably be able to evaluate that idea.

My molars grew in horizontally, and had to go in my early 20s when they began shoving everything else aside. They took up a lot of space by that time, but I've never missed them. Heck, they're even good for a light snack now and then when I find a walnut piece hiding there.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a consultation here and it looks like a bridge may be a descent option. It's an upper molar and this can be problematic for implants if there is not sufficient bone because it is so near the sinus cavity. The dentist will be looking at some xrays I had done recently to determine if there is enough bone.
That and all my fillings are loose, apparently mercury fillings come loose over time from expanding and contracting with heat and cold.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, If you are in need of replacing several "silver" fillings,be careful who you go to to have the work done. These "silver fillings" are actually 50% mercury, and when they are ground on to be removed the mercury vaporizes, exposes you to a very dangerous neurotoxin. Mercury binds to nerve and brain tissue destroying it. Be sure to ask what precautions the dentist takes to minimize your exposure to the mercury.

A good source for the most up to date info regarding this can be found at:

www.iaomt.org
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, If you are in need of replacing several "silver" fillings,be careful who you go to to have the work done. These "silver fillings" are actually 50% mercury, and when they are ground on to be removed the mercury vaporizes, exposes you to a very dangerous neurotoxin. Mercury binds to nerve and brain tissue destroying it. Be sure to ask what precautions the dentist takes to minimize your exposure to the mercury.

A good source for the most up to date info regarding this can be found at:

www.iaomt.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: