myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which big freeride fin?: True Ames Sweeper vs MFC Liquid Pro
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct-rex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Which big freeride fin?: True Ames Sweeper vs MFC Liquid Pro Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm looking for a fin to pair with my 9.5 Ezzy Lion on my 145L RRD Fireride. I'm a 175 lbs/80kg intermediate sailor who would like to plane as early as possible on lightwind days on the lake. (Before getting the 9.5 sail, I was coupling my 8.5 Ezzy Freeride with the stock 46cm MFC Liquid Pro fin, which worked well.)

Right now, I'm looking at a 54cm True Ames Sweeper (advertised for 7.5-9.5 sail range) and a 50 cm MFC Liquid Pro (which, although 4 cm shorter than the TA, advertises a 9-10m range). If I were going just by fin length, it would seem that I should get the Sweeper. However, if I were going by the recommended sail size,the Liquid Pro boasts a slightly higher range.

Any thoughts or suggestions? (Or, for that matter, explanations on why the shorter fin would be claiming to hold a higher sail range? Is it just marketing, or is there some truth to this?)

Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one of those big Sweepers, and I like it, but I don't think I've ever
tried it with my 9.5, and I doubt I'd like it with my 9.5.

The typical deal with how much sail a fin can carry mostly has to do
with area, so I'd guess that the surface area on your short fin is greater
than the surface area on the Sweeper. Then, there's just plain
advertising.

-Craig
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the length is the common measure on fins, what you need to be aware of is the area .

FX the T/A in 48cm length (area is 435cm2) is less then the Black Project Fin 47cm (area 451cm2) , the 50cm T/A sweeper is 495cm2
the MFC areas are not quoted but you can email and ask.

Of the 2 fins you mentioned I have had happy days with the Liquid Pro, and while I do have True Ames fins, never the Sweeper.

I would not limit to those 2 potential, the Black Project fins are very highly rated, Makani and Maui Ultra Fins would all be on my short list.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conventional wisdom for fin size is : go with the smallest one you can get away with. For us mortals a smaller fin that looses grip only occasionally equals less drag /more speed/, less leg muscle cramps/fin doesn't lift too much at speed/, less repairs /shallow lakes like to chew on long fins/.
Slalom pros use bigger fins because for them more tail lift means nose down and more control/but very spectacular crashes/, spin out may cost them the race.
Your board comes with a good fin for its 75 cm width so my advice is if the tail doesn't spin out too much - stay with it. If it spins out a bit at low speed and it boders you - then get just 1 size bigger one. You will not get a much planing benefit with a bigger fin, only more drag and hassles. A wider board will plane earlier then yours with a bigger fin.
I can't comment on the Thrue Ames since I never tried one but I own a MFC Race and a Liquid Pro and I'm very satisfied with both of them. Not to mention the perfect fit and finish they come with, which is not granted for all brands.
Here is a nice little article on modern fins for your entertainment Smile
http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/pro-slalom-windsurfing-fin-tuning-tips-kurosh-kiani-vector-fins/?params=M3w2MnwxNjA=

Last edited by adywind on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Sweeper 51cm with my Ezzy 9.5 and it works great with an older Naish Titan (66cm wide).
Fin length has also has alot to do with how wide the your board is, especially tail width. If it has a wide tail like a formula board, it can handle a longer fin.
ct-rex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

Curious to know, then, what size and make fin you use with your 9.5, and on what litre board?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably be of little use, but I use the fin that came with my Angluo Sumo, and here are the board specs

# Length 265 cm
# Width 72 cm
# Volume 155 litres
# Weight 8.5kg
# Fin Box Power
# Fin Size 48cm
# Sail Min 6.0 mē
# Sail Max 9.5 mē

The fin has a similar shape to a Sweeper, but probably more surface area,
especially in the tip.

-Craig

ct-rex wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

Curious to know, then, what size and make fin you use with your 9.5, and on what litre board?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct rex

Iam a little lighter than you 150lbs + a little in winter.

I use MAX 42cm Liquid Pro on my Tabou 135 L, the 145L Rocket was the same, up to a 8.5m Lion.

I would probably go down to a 38cm fin if I didn't want to change boards when winder

the information from companies like T/A or MFC on sail//fin size should relate to someone YOUR weight, for liteweights a smaller size

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already put a bigger engine /9.5/ then this car was intended for and you probably realized-it is not much better then the 8.5 . Now waste your money on big rear wheels and go drag racing... If only it was that simple!
ct-rex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your very helpful advice.

Adywind raises a point that I have indeed been considering as well.... Should I match the 9.5 Lion with a Formula or FreeFormula instead? Thing is, I don't ever plan on racing, and I don't think I'll ever go bigger than the 9.5. But I am keeping the bigger board option on the table.

I actually picked up a used ~2002 Bic Techno Free Formula board (170L) at the end of last season. This was to be the perfect match for the 9.5, and I did have a couple of good sessions with it. But then I discovered a crack around the fin box. (The early versions of this board used a Trim box, which is not a good match for the 65cm stock fin). Anyway, the repair will run $200 to replace the Trim box with a Deep Tuttle box, and there also might be issues with the board's ABS material bonding to epoxy. All told, the repair, plus new fin box and new fin, will run me between $450-$500. I figured I might be better off applying this money to a new (used) formula or free formula instead, even if my largest sail will be a 9.5. (Thoughts on this?)

For the time being, though, I think it's probably worth a shot to see how much I can get out of the 9.5 + 145L combination, hence, my initial question about the fins. I will, however, continue to keep my eyes out for a bigger board!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: