myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want to try wave sailing this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about tacks. I've been sailing Waddell for a couple of years and couldn't tack to save my life. Although it is something I'm going to learn.

Best thing is to get out in the channel at 3rd and practice those jibes in the channel, not after you've move through and are into the flat water, but while your in the big swells. Especially learn the starboard to port jibes, those are the ones you will use on the outside at Waddell.

Also, if you're down in the surf and a big wave is going to crunch you, get on the ocean side of your rig. That wave can pick up your whole rig and throw it at you.

Best of luck!
prevett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before getting in the waves, you should be clear about the waveriding rules (not to be confused with open water sailing rules like starboard tack over port tack, etc).

- First sailor on the wave gets the wave.
- If two sailors get on the wave at the same time, the sailor closest to the peak gets the wave.

That's it. For wavesailing, catching a swell outside before it is a breaking wave and riding it in counts as being on the wave.

Also, be careful what you wish for. I started wavesailing the coast about 10 years ago. The challenge and excitement is very addicting. As a result, I haven't windsurfed the Bay in years.
churan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for dillon i cant say. I too am a marin guy and have to deal with our sub par wave/wind conditions. If you have the time, go south. Our lack of reef and upwind terrain just is not santa cruz. Palo marin want's to be scotts creek but just cant. SC takes what comes and makes it epic. north bay takes it and degrades it. ie wind is less and waves dont magnify peel etc. That said, if you dont have the time try stinson, ob, lindamar, HMB, even under GGB south tower on a huge day. The key is not to limit yourself, be cautious but the more days you get the better you get. Adjust your expectations. Believe it or not my best days have been 5.7 sub plaining davenport on a big summer south. I have done the tuba thing but for true wave sailing, what you want, go south young man.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on wave etiquette - I am first on a wave, but since I am out a ways it is still just a big swell and I have to go with it a ways until it steepens up. Guy downwind of me, outbound, does a quick jibe in front of the wave. He out-points me, crosses in front of me, and gets to the upwind side of me by the time the swell has steepened into a wave. So now we are both on the wave. I was first, but he is now upwind. What should happen, ownership wise?
shredley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a grip this isn't a court of law these rules really just boil down to etiquette and there are a million gray areas that can vary depending on the situation.

Here are some practical options:
1. Drop off the wave and just get the next one or the one behind it which might be a better one with no one else on it. Are you out there to ride waves or compete and hassle with people? In this day and age you should be able to find a spot with a million waves to ride anyway.

2. Going right the downwind sailor effectively controls what happens so if you make your first turn at your normal time (not purposely stuffing the upwind guy) you should be able to complete your ride without the upwind sailor having any effect on you at all.

3. You could go right early in order to share the wave and add a little distance between you.

4. Start screaming and gesturing at the other guy, stuff him upwind he re-crosses you downwind then take it to the beach and settle it mano a mano.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Eric earlier, Waddell s probably the worst place to learn, unless you have deep pockets to replace gear.

Waddell has its days, but a two turn wave possibly, unless a really good South at the right angle. Getting out is a beast if you don't know what you are doing and it gets larger.

Tuba in Marin is incredible on a South Swell, aside from being a stunning drive.

Davenport is probably your best bet, you can stay on the North reef and kick out early, watch the other sailors and the wind shadow. Don't come in at the fish ladder, you launch and return the furthest North you can. Really read up on the rules, locals are not too friendly if you drop in on someone or flounder around, again especially if bigger. Wave sailing is aggressive in a similar manner to surfing and like anything else you got to pay your dues and be a grom for a while, you'll never go back once the bug bites, personally don't do anything else but the coast between SC and HMB.

Be safe and best of luck.
prevett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
I was first, but he is now upwind. What should happen, ownership wise?

You've been snaked! That is your swell/wave, and the other sailor is a d-bag for quick-jibing and getting on it. That being said, shredley's options 1, 2 and 3 above are the best ways to deal with it.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conditions for prime Palo, as good as a good day at Davenport....
Need, moderate WNW winds, not the 28 stuff, but closer to the 18 mph averages. Get there early, before the winds cool the beach and take away the "cliff accelerated" wind...which gives the offshore component needed for DTL wave riding.
Medium tides, swells from W thru NW are fine, S don't matter, but size from 3' up to 5, if you're just learning.
You can launch below the Roundrock, for a clean channel and an upwind pinch slogging out, or off to the N inside the reef point, which allows you to bear off, jump, and decide which wave to ride. Medium tides give the best conditions, NOT minus's, and anything over 6' usually turns into a mush contest.
Be OK with using a floaty wave board. In my case, 150 lbs., anything 75 liters and above is fine. Sail sizing usually around 5.2 for the light days, and the windier days are usually NOT good because there is no cliff accelerated wind, as the outside wind overpowers the warm wind moving along the cliffs, which then head offshore.
AndrewLundquist, former manager of CityFront Sailboards, has vids of 4 guys riding DTL at once, each on their own right, with 4 more swells marching thru behind, on a decent day.
If the winds are good for wave riding, they are not strong enough for good jumping on the way out.
If the winds are good for jumping, usually the waves get wind that is purely onshore, and wave riding is limited to backside only.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Limantour.....
At the parking lot, the wind is side offshore about 45 degrees, which can be good if the waves are big enough to break solidly on the outer sandbars. You ride DTL bottom turn off the lips, usually a 4 pack, before needing to kick out or straighen out to stay upwind.
BUT, if the waves are smaller, the lower reef, at the South parking lot, can break pretty solid, although it's not peeling wave, it's a sectioning wave that requires off the lips and judicious wave judgement to avoid getting caught inside. There, the winds are more true sideshore, with a slight offshore component that allows going DTL, but makes it harder to sail back to the original launch, as cross shore currents keeps you drifting South.
Both those waves usually need a medium to low tide to get real breaking waves, and higher tides usually cause the waves to feather and back off, with pretty mean shorepound as a result.
Look for swell sizing in the "10'" range to insure the waves make it around the ChimneyRock, and S swells here usually make for closeout beach waves....needing a South wind to ride DTL, but that's another story for another day.
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at Waddell simply because the downwind situation is more forgiving there. A mile or more of nice sandy beach, other locations, especially on high tide, can be intimidating, especially when the beaches get cut off.

Yeah, the kiters suck at Waddell, but if it's between you and a kiter, I would just stand my ground. Those guys get tons of waves anyhow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: