myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fockinnukin at Tomales
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpaillon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Fockinnukin at Tomales Reply with quote

It's been a few years since I've been blown off the water at Tomales on a 3.5. I had forgotten what completely out of control felt like. The swell was as powerful as the gusts. Steve E. left before the fireworks started. Ted L. also gave it up when I did and he usually sails for an hour after I am blown off. He was on a 3.6. One hearty soul sailed for twenty minutes after we came in. I didn't get his name but he was on a 4.0 and 74 liters. He was quite a bit bigger than me and Ted. My hat was off to him even though he did have a couple of spectacular wipeouts.

Tomorrow is another day. I hope they turn it down a notch.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now 64, I'm done with those days when BobBoggy was using a 4.2 at 235 lbs., Yogi on a 2.8 at 190lbs, and MikeWhite on his 2.3 at 160 lbs., while KBoyd struggled with his 4.0 at 210lbs.
Never seemed really fun, except the green drive home knowing you survived something that might actually kill you.
Jorionw96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost made the drive today for that epic sesh. Instead went 10 minutes away to Folsom lake and it sucked! Never will I make that mistake again. I always laugh when the human forecast says low to mid 20's for tomales on days like today. Nuke was a lead pipe lock.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always thought Folsom worked best on NNE, N, or SSE rain winds.
Jorionw96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was N. 10-40 then 5-25. It wasn't bad I guess. Just wished I had been at tomales.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fockinnukin at Tomales Reply with quote

rpaillon wrote:
It's been a few years since I've been blown off the water at Tomales on a 3.5. I had forgotten what completely out of control felt like. The swell was as powerful as the gusts. Steve E. left before the fireworks started. Ted L. also gave it up when I did and he usually sails for an hour after I am blown off. He was on a 3.6. One hearty soul sailed for twenty minutes after we came in. I didn't get his name but he was on a 4.0 and 74 liters. He was quite a bit bigger than me and Ted. My hat was off to him even though he did have a couple of spectacular wipeouts.

Tomorrow is another day. I hope they turn it down a notch.

Rick, I was fairly blown off the water on my 3.5, my last option along with the 75 liter board I got for my son when he was 13. I actually was having fun and the swell was really setup nicely. I see the wind ramped up a notch at 3:00 just as I got off the water, but was holding steady at an average of 30 before then. So I'm happy with what I got. I'm down to 155 now, what with paddling and such, so I might have been picked up like a tossed around if I'da stuck with it.

Steve
rpaillon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I did fine when the wind was 30 knots. The bump up to 34 meant a 28 percent increase in sail force (velocity squared). That would have made a 2.7 sail more appropriate than the 3.5 that I was on.

Rick
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Iwindsurf sensor reading accurately these days? I know a few years ago it tended to read a little low. For me (180#), that place is great on 4.5 and below but not worth the drive otherwise.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Is the Iwindsurf sensor reading accurately these days? I know a few years ago it tended to read a little low. For me (180#), that place is great on 4.5 and below but not worth the drive otherwise.

Hi rigatoni,

The Tomales sensor almost always reads a little low. As you can see in the graphic below the sensor is on a pier just north of Grassy Point. So it picks up the wind you feel just past the sand bar but not the wind you actually sail. If you stand on the very tip of Grassy Point you can see the pier where the sensor is located. On the uncommon days when the wind is more NNW the sensor will report stronger wind than you will find near the launch and most of the wind will be on the far side.

On really super strong days at Tomales the wind is a combo of mid 20's wind coming in from the ocean AND winds aloft that jazz up these surface winds. Since the latter can be unreliable and fade fast we just forecast mid 20's with periods stronger. My reasoning is that people can figure out that they can sail if the wind is mid 20's and if it is actually stronger so much the better.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
windnotes.phanfare.com

Tomales.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  838.18 KB
 Viewed:  16673 Time(s)

Tomales.jpg

boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike....anything you can do to discourage people from making the drive would be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: