myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined Extension Downhaul Slipping when Wet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new marlow quite often has some slime on it from the manufacturing process(?). i have used the cheap stuff that comes with my extensions. it slips, but not as badly if i double back like shown in the rigged photos. tie off the double back bitter end around the base securely. doesn't hurt to rub some sandy water into the line when it's new. just shortens the life of the line and cleat a bit. thus far, i've found the streamlined skinny ext's to be the most durable in the impact zone available. yup, they still fail, but not as frequently per year as all others available on the market, IMHO. but, i've not used everything, just the most common OEM's in the US mkt.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
norcom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikecole wrote:
IThe center pully is larger and deeper than the outer pullys and that stopped the lines from jumping towards the inner most (closest to the mast) pully when you downhaul.
Mike

The lines over the sail pulley don't slip/jump on me. This happens on the lines threaded through the extension pulleys.

swchandler wrote:
I guess the question that comes to mind is where in the downhaul process does the wet line start to slip off? I'm assuming that it occurs well before final downhaul as pictured.

I can only get it downhauled as in the picture only when it's dry. When it's wet, at about 30% of the downhaul both lines slip off the extension pulleys to the side. I've tried to downhaul slow and tried to downhaul fast with the same slipping result. I don't have a winch but that could help with keeping the lines close to the inside.

jingebritsen wrote:
i've found the streamlined skinny ext's to be the most durable in the impact zone available. yup, they still fail, but not as frequently per year as all others available on the market, IMHO. but, i've not used everything, just the most common OEM's in the US mkt.

And that's exactly why I decided to give this extension a try. It doesn't seem as durable/thick as the other extensions though. But because of the slipping, I haven't used it much. After this past weekend I decided to see if anyone else had the same issue.

I'm now switching to carbon extensions to hopefully not have to deal with the issues. I've snapped and bent aluminum extensions, so I'm hoping carbon will last longer.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as reliability in the surf goes, I would stick w/ aluminum over carbon. i've seen a lot of carbon extensions break (from all brands) and they seem to have random catastrophic failure much more frequently than their aluminum counterparts. The Streamlined aluminum RDM extension is one of the most reliable out there.

what brand of sails are you using? still very puzzled why you're having the problems you describe.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the little cantilevered arm that supports the pulleys is bent upward a bit on your extension?[/img]

extension.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.45 KB
 Viewed:  13273 Time(s)

extension.jpg

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong, is the axis of both pulleys parallel with each other?
It seems that as it is DH'd the axis changes and becomes misaligned allowing the line to slip off.
Could the stainless steel bar that holds the pulley be bent or is one of the rivets that holds it to the body of the extension coming loose?
Is the line too fat to fit into the pulley?
Trying to think of anything here.
A picture of it fully DH'd when dry from straight above could help.
I would like to hear what Streamlined says about this.
norcom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cantilevered arm isn't bent, it points a little downward. The extension is practically brand new and I've probably used it a handful of times.

I've just received two other extensions, so I'm not too worried about using this one for now. I've been keeping it as a spare for a while since the first time I tried to adjust it while it was wet and I couldn't. I've had it for probably a year now.

I'll try to remember to get some pictures whenever I'm rigging with this extension again. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue as I had. And like I said, it works great while everything is dry on the first rigging/adjustment.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll try a different rope in it as well. I'm really thinking the rope could just be too slippery at the angle the sails sit. I'm now wishing I had tried to towel dry the rope/pulleys to see if that would fix the issue.
norcom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
as far as reliability in the surf goes, I would stick w/ aluminum over carbon. i've seen a lot of carbon extensions break (from all brands) and they seem to have random catastrophic failure much more frequently than their aluminum counterparts. The Streamlined aluminum RDM extension is one of the most reliable out there.

what brand of sails are you using? still very puzzled why you're having the problems you describe.

I've snapped an aluminum RDM literally in half and I've bent way too many aluminum RDM extensions. Maybe if I hadn't snapped the aluminum one, I wouldn't be trying carbon but now I'm aware everything can break in half.

Most of my sails are Ezzy and this issue happens on Ezzy sails with Ezzy masts. But like I keep saying, ONLY when rope/pulleys are wet.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get old and weak (like me) and want to start using a rig winch to downhaul the sail, you will find that the streamlined extension works extremely poorly as the line gets taut nowhere near the cleat. Using a Chinook winch with a Chinook extension, you can cleat it off with your pinkie. Just another reason to switch. dhmark
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has happened to me with a Chinook extension
i changed the line and no better
i changed the cleat on the extension and "problem solved"
for a streamline extension, may be harder to find a cleat/pulley assembly
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcom wrote:
kevinkan wrote:

I've snapped an aluminum RDM literally in half and I've bent way too many aluminum RDM extensions. Maybe if I hadn't snapped the aluminum one, I wouldn't be trying carbon but now I'm aware everything can break in half.

Most of my sails are Ezzy and this issue happens on Ezzy sails with Ezzy masts. But like I keep saying, ONLY when rope/pulleys are wet.

Yep, anything/everything has a breaking limit! Hope you have better luck with your carbon extensions. Does this rigging problem happen with all your sails or just particular sizes? There are plenty of people here in SF Bay who use Ezzy Sails and Streamlined extensions. I've had no problems with my Panthers or Panther Elites in the past, but they're mostly 5.2 and 4.7.

The other thing you can try doing w/ your Ezzy's is to put some tension on the tack strap before you downhaul to pull the sail pulleys closer to the mast and inline with the extension pulleys. FYI, I use FSE Robline Super Downhaul Line exclusively for my lines.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: