myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined Extension Downhaul Slipping when Wet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... yeah, you're right !!
Yours are 1/2 as deep as those other pics... makes a bit more sense, that your DH line could/would slip out if there's side-loading.

It still seems to me, that there shouldn't be any side-loading (as others have said).

Anyway, deeper pulley wheels would probably solve your problem.
Greg -
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just took some pulleys out of a busted extension. I think they would fit and give me a much deeper groove. I'm just too lazy to take THIS extension apart now; I took the other one apart with a hammer and a chisel. Laughing I do like the simple bolt design of this one though, no hammer required.

pulleys.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  325.62 KB
 Viewed:  13139 Time(s)

pulleys.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulley sheave depth, within reason, would not make or break line slippage if the line was routed to avoid lateral tension in each and every segment.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe these pulleys wont work without being drilled. Looking at this Streamlined Assembly Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJCBfDHQmQ the pulleys look to have a larger ID than the ones I just pulled. Not a huge deal drilling them out though.

So now I guess I should ask the other question I've been wanting to ask!

Anyone make their own extensions? I've trashed a few extensions over the last two years and it's getting pricey to keep buying $100 aluminum tubes. Looking at the streamlined extension, all I need is a similar AL tube then I could drill the holes myself. Question
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall EVER bending/breaking an extension. Replacing -- even just examining -- them doesn't even across my mind. What are you guys doing ... double forwards with two feet of extension in heavy surf?
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I don't recall EVER bending/breaking an extension. Replacing -- even just examining -- them doesn't even across my mind. What are you guys doing ... double forwards with two feet of extension in heavy surf?

Using big boards with big sails. Dropping the sail in rough chop and having it try to cantilever a 220L board with you on it, while the sail sinks putting lots of load on an extension that's 30cm out. Then again there are those occasional shore break wipeouts. Not everyone can sail a 60L board with a 3.5 and have a 5.0 as their "big" sail. I'm really liking RDM, except for the extensions.

On another note, I did find some aluminum tubing that's 1.25" with .120" wall thicknes. (31.8mm x 3mm). Guess it wouldn't be that hard to drill the holes to mount the Streamlined hardware on your own tube. Should be possible to do with Titanium tubing as well; if it was easy to source.

Though I'll still need to workout the slipping. But I found the Streamlined replacement "non" ball-bearing pulleys; they look deeper and are $25.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Mike - LOL, yeah... funny... that's exactly what I was thinking !!!
Anyway, norcom's answer is good... and makes sense.
However, for me... I do often sail big boards with big sails, and in higher winds, I've had the same thing happen that norcom describes (we all have). But, whenever I've been in this situation with my gear, I get my ass off that board asap. I mean... it's an immediate reflex... no hesitation.
And in THAT case, I've never thought about the extension breaking, but I HAVE worried about damaging the board from all that leverage, in that situation.
Anyway, I'm still using my Bic and UP (Ultra Profile) mastbases and adjustable extension from '93.
However, a disclaimer... most of my sailing has been in freshwater, away from salt and sand, therefore things last longer. And I usually average between 30 and 60 times a year. And half of those days would be in winds 15 knots and less... and the other half, above that up to 35 knots (VERY rare for me). And I have 2 longboards and 4 shortboards, and lots of different rigs. So, all that use gets split up between all that gear.
Also, I'm careful how I take care of my sailing stuff.
Anyway, I have had all that use split up between 3 or 4 mastbase and ext combos. And like I said... no issues.
Note: Oh yeah... and almost no surf action for this Seattle guy.
(I'm just explaining why my gear might last longer for me than others.)

Good luck norcom... this all has been really good advice.. you'll figure it out.
Greg Smile
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium extension, Mmmm, titanium mast Idea Question
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, i've broken my whole sail kit except for the boom one day in some pretty gruesome stuff. sand sucking 8' shore pound that came out of nowhere.... sail 5.8 charge, torn in half; base extension, streamlined (very old); mast, newish rdm 430; uphaul, the bungee part; universal tendon. just a few minutes earlier, i had no problems getting thru the break. tide and wave states were rising. my bad for not executing a more cautious relaunch.

point is, when one sails in big wave venues, with anything, mishaps are bound to happen. the likelihood of such destruction diminishes with experience. one day, during a photo shoot featuring long boards in surf, our fearless leader and another sailor broke 2 carbon extensions in some pretty tame stuff. they had not taken heed to proceed with preventative measures to keep from breaking these in the wash.

all one needs to do is try not to allow the board to get rolled side to side. the board gets rolled onto the mast, it continues and the mast cannot turn along with it. snap goes the extension. BTW, both of these sailors tend to be rough and tumble with their gear every time they do sail anyway.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"" all one needs to do is try not to allow the board to get rolled side to side. the board gets rolled onto the mast, it continues and the mast cannot turn along with it. snap goes the extension. ""

Yeah... this can happen in the Gorge, often (the rolling part). And I'd imagine just the same anywhere, that you have strong wind and water current going against each other.
If you have a crash where the rig ends up on the downwind side of the board... and if it's "down" in the water a bit. Well, then the combo. of the strong wind pushing and or lifting the board "up" (on the upwind side of the crash)... while the current grabs the rig, taking it "down". And yes, the whole kit tumbles - rotates - around.
Of course, if this happens in deep enough water there's no damage (usually)... the gear just does one rotation, you grab the rig when it comes back up, waterstart and go.
Like I said, I have almost no sailing time in shore breaking waves, but have been aware of the great damage that can occur to even very experienced sailors, in those conditions. Gear caught between a shallow bottom and a wave will certainly break somewhere.
Greg -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: