myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined Extension Downhaul Slipping when Wet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:

Yep, anything/everything has a breaking limit! Hope you have better luck with your carbon extensions. Does this rigging problem happen with all your sails or just particular sizes? There are plenty of people here in SF Bay who use Ezzy Sails and Streamlined extensions. I've had no problems with my Panthers or Panther Elites in the past, but they're mostly 5.2 and 4.7.

The other thing you can try doing w/ your Ezzy's is to put some tension on the tack strap before you downhaul to pull the sail pulleys closer to the mast and inline with the extension pulleys. FYI, I use FSE Robline Super Downhaul Line exclusively for my lines.

I think I've mostly tried it with the larger sails, the week ago it was with the 9.5m Ezzy Lion. I know I've tried it with Gaastra and Ezzys in 6/6.6/7.5/8.5 and had the same thing happen. I don't recally trying it with the smaller sails. Like I said I haven't really used this extension much because it has always slipped on me when ever I wanted to readjust the downhaul.

I thought about tying the strap around the extension but I didn't want to damage the sail when the rope slipped. I just didn't think it was designed for that.

Most of the sails require a 20-30 extension length. Maybe if the extension was shorter I wouldn't have this issue. And I am using the OEM specified mast lengths with the sails.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i having a problem with semantics here... ??

you say it slips "whenever you try to re-adjust the downhaul"
implying - when you rig it dry and LEAVE it - it is OK
the easy solution there is - always rig to your preferred downhaul placement and adjust only outhaul ...

if re-adjusting - tie it off somehow ??
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
am i having a problem with semantics here... ??

you say it slips "whenever you try to re-adjust the downhaul"
implying - when you rig it dry and LEAVE it - it is OK
the easy solution there is - always rig to your preferred downhaul placement and adjust only outhaul ...

if re-adjusting - tie it off somehow ??

Yes... I was thinking the same thing.

For most experienced windsurfers... once you have the DH set, you don't typically re-adjust it. (Therefore you'd be fine... rig it when dry... and don't mess with it, till you de-rig.)

Of course there are times when a slight adjustment is nice in the middle of a session... like if the wind changes a lot. But most of the time (with experience) if you have it "pretty darn close"... then, you're good to go.

Still, I understand... this doesn't solve the big issue... you "should" be able to re-adjust it when wet. I'm just saying... for many experienced "riggers", this situation wouldn't cause a HUGE issue (like Joe says).
Greg Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be an issue for me. Like when I'm well powered and the
wind ramps up 5 MPH (or if I just guessed wrong). I could go and
rerig, but 90% of the time I just go to the closest beach and put
in more downhaul. I am a pretty experienced windsurfer.

-Craig

gregnw44 wrote:
For most experienced windsurfers... once you have the DH set, you don't typically re-adjust it. (Therefore you'd be fine... rig it when dry... and don't mess with it, till you de-rig.)

Of course there are times when a slight adjustment is nice in the middle of a session... like if the wind changes a lot. But most of the time (with experience) if you have it "pretty darn close"... then, you're good to go.
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"" but 90% of the time I just go to the closest beach and put
in more downhaul. I am a pretty experienced windsurfer. ""

LOL, hey... I said "most", not "all".

Seriously, I don't know what % or windsurfers adjust their DH sometime every sesh. I just know that I rarely do.
And at "Windfest" in Hood River last summer... I don't recall seeing the sail reps constantly adjusting DH's during the day. Yet wind conditions changed a bit, and lots of different people used their gear... and THEY certainly want their sails to perform well there.

Anyway, I do adjust the outhaul once in a while... but he's not talking about that.

I was just agreeing that Joe had a point.
In any case... the original poster does have an issue... his situation should NOT be happening.
Greg Smile
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm talking re-adjusting it as in tuning it up/down. Sometimes I don't change the downhaul but there are times when I like to.

This last time I was on the 9.5 and it picked up in the afternoon. Everyone else was getting out on a 7.5. I really like the way Ezzy sails have the markings on how to tune it. It took me a year but they really helped me feel the difference between a full downhaul and letting a couple centimeters out. They also help me easily see the difference in the sail. This is my second year windsurfing, so I'm still learning. So far from trying three different brands, Ezzys feel the best to me.

I was overpowered but I didn't feel like rigigng down to a smaller sail, so I decided to add more downhaul. I had plenty to downhaul to go having rigged it for light wind. I knew that the slipping issue would come up but I wanted to give it a try anyways. After a few attempts to get the thing downhauld, I got frustrated and just got the other extension.

I've been meaning to ask if anyone else experienced this for while but never bothered to. I guess no one else has a similar issue. No matter though, now I have plenty of other extensions that I do not have this problem with.
bruntoj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the longest length (about 24") Streamlined aluminum RDM with my Ezzy Freeride 9.5 and Lion 9.5. No problems readjusting when wet. I use a Chinook pulley for both dry setup and wet adjustment, and apart from the challenge to cleat it off as pointed out earlier, it's never slipped off the rollers. Using an Ezzy 490 rdm mast, extension pin at #28 (28cm)

The only difference I've noticed is that my rollers are black plastic/nylon whilst you've got the older/upgrade metal bearing type roller. I'm also using the same rope that came with the extension.

No chance that you got McLube/Teflon/Silicon on your rope or rollers?

Did you email the nice people at Streamlined? They're just down the road from me in San Diego county and were exceptionally friendly and helpful when I visited once.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruntoj wrote:
I've been using the longest length (about 24") Streamlined aluminum RDM with my Ezzy Freeride 9.5 and Lion 9.5. No problems readjusting when wet. I use a Chinook pulley for both dry setup and wet adjustment, and apart from the challenge to cleat it off as pointed out earlier, it's never slipped off the rollers. Using an Ezzy 490 rdm mast, extension pin at #28 (28cm)

The only difference I've noticed is that my rollers are black plastic/nylon whilst you've got the older/upgrade metal bearing type roller. I'm also using the same rope that came with the extension.

No chance that you got McLube/Teflon/Silicon on your rope or rollers?

Did you email the nice people at Streamlined? They're just down the road from me in San Diego county and were exceptionally friendly and helpful when I visited once.

I have the black plastic pulleys and I have the ones with the bearings in them; it was a free upgrade. I don't use a winch so I can't say if it would work with one.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the actual picture of my extension. The previous pictures were not mine.

Now that I look at it closer, I may be able to replace the washers next to the pulleys with something a little bigger that might stop the slipping and give the channel a little more depth. But since I have two other extensions now that work, I'm just keeping this one as a spare.

Edit:
It seems to me that my pulleys seem a bit shallower than other pulleys in the pictures posted earlier. I was upgraded to the "ball bearing" pulleys for free because the cheaper model wasn't available at the time.

streamlined.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  404.69 KB
 Viewed:  16100 Time(s)

streamlined.jpg

norcom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few close up pictures of the pulleys on other extensions and they look twice as deep as mine. No wonder no one else is having this issue.

url2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.32 KB
 Viewed:  16089 Time(s)

url2.jpg

1404-full-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.18 KB
 Viewed:  16090 Time(s)

1404-full-2.jpg

Last edited by norcom on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: