myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Just wondering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyhigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Just wondering Reply with quote

Hello fellow sailors,Does any body know if it blew at Maryhill and the Wall on Sunday? and if so, did anybody sail it?? I'm starting to get stoked but the River temp. is 4.3c=40f. burrr I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit. How about you? skyhigh
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just wondering Reply with quote

I'm with you Mr. Skyhigh,

That water is freak'n cold! The wind has looked good out East, but even
with a good Drysuit, my face(even Vaselined up) and hands would still
drive me off after about 15 minutes (not to mention the Ice Cream
Brain Freeze). I wanna sail, but I don't seem to
be able to sail conservatively once the fire catches hold, so sailing
dry probably isn't on the menu. I won't be out
until late May, when the water hits a balmy 55 degrees or so.

-Craig

skyhigh wrote:
Hello fellow sailors,Does any body know if it blew at Maryhill and the Wall on Sunday? and if so, did anybody sail it?? I'm starting to get stoked but the River temp. is 4.3c=40f. burrr I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit. How about you? skyhigh
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove across the Maryhill Bridge Sunday afternoon around 1:30 PM and it was blowing good. Nice looking swell, steady wind, snow on the ridges and 40 degrees or so........No sailors at Maryhill, I'm not sure about the Wall.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday's Maryhill sensor data looked like total crap ... fits and starts with no consistency. Right or wrong, warm or cold, I wouldn't have driven 10 miles for it. But I'm willing to bet a good time was had by all the dead-of-winter sailors who live further east. OTOH, the next day was also windy as hell, but it was a sucker's bet that kicked butt then died off far too quickly ... cold swim and/or frequent rerig conditions time for all but the best sloggers. I decided many years ago after extensive experimentation that icewater and WSing together are best left to far drier sailors, willing to wear far more $#!+ on their extremities, and willing to risk far longer icewater swims, than I'll ever again be. I can enjoy playing on land WAY below zero F, but water is a different game. YMMV.

I demand fully functional and adequately comfortable bare foots and bare hands plus an adequate chance of half-way steady winds for a few hours, and neoprene hoods (and/or the accompanying water temps) completely destroy my balance, so I limit my Gorge sailing to or above upper 40s water and 50ish air, if then. That means mid-late April through something like Thanksgiving for me. Some Aprils and some Mays here are fantastic, others suck big time.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid 4.7 at Rowena on Monday for me. Bad kitemare with guy self-launching and getting plastered and slammed on the rocks twice. Kite destroyed and he was prob broken up as well. Had to call 911. Hope he is ok. Definitely cold. Make those Jibes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: