myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tencate TC Leaper help...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
First of all, nobody gave a viable answer to the OP (original poster's) question until I chimed in.
Second, OP can ask for further explanation.
Third, this way, we can test OP's intuitive knowledge.

Cheers to those three... no "big argument" from me Smile

On the other hand, the educator in me, says... yes, but... "Beginner's don't know what they don't know." In other words, he might not ask for more info, cause he doesn't know what to ask or what he's dealing with.
And on #3 - "test the OP's intuitive knowledge". There's not a lot that's intuitive about this sport for most people. And, there is SO MUCH to learn - nautical sailing terms, names of all the gear pieces, how to put things together, how to balance on the water, how to steer a windsurfer, how to be a weather forcaster, etc.
I don't think we should try to "test" them... we should be so happy, that there's a person that wants to learn windsurfing... we should try to keep it simple for them, not make it more technical than it already is. The most helpful thing, is to give them clear and simple answers.
Experienced guys can trash talk at the beach, or even here, if it's between friends (but that should be spelled out). This sport is confusing enough, I don't think we should increase it with vague or incomplete answers to beginner's.
IMHO,
Greg Smile
rascal999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks all. I'll definitely research through the provided links. I watched the video. I think I saw my rig in it... lol.

I'm definitely going to try the rope. Seems simple enough. I'll look and see if they have thick enough poly line. I was admiring the problem and didn't use common sense. Rope will most likely work.

Can't thank you all enough. If you want to come see me wipe out hard core I'll be in Mission Bay, San Diego tomorrow...
rascal999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks all. I'll definitely research through the provided links. I watched the video. I think I saw my rig in it... lol.

I'm definitely going to try the rope. Seems simple enough. I'll look and see if they have thick enough poly line. I was admiring the problem and didn't use common sense. Rope will most likely work.

Can't thank you all enough. If you want to come see me wipe out hard core I'll be in Mission Bay, San Diego tomorrow...
rascal999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rascal999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Multiple repeated posts Reply with quote

rascal999,

One of the most difficult things to learn about windsurfing is how to keep the iwindsurf forum from throwing up multiples of your posts. Laughing

Welcome to the sport!
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple repeated posts Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
rascal999,

One of the most difficult things to learn about windsurfing is how to keep the iwindsurf forum from throwing up multiples of your posts. Laughing

Welcome to the sport!

Oh, is that what iwindsurf did?
I just thought, that he was really, Really, REALLY grateful... for all the enlightening replies, LOL

Have fun in Mission Bay.. and yeah, that video was very inspiring. If those guys and gals could do that back then... then YOU can do "that now" !!!
Be patient... and persistent.. that's the key to success (and take lessons and ask questions).
Greg -
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool vid, brings back memories for lots of us...
Mine.
Sept. '83, strolled into CaliforniaSailboards in Emeryville, took a look at the Marker111 and bought it, 7 days after the initial LakeMerced windsurfing lesson. From a g/f 17 years later! She didn't want to sell a 10'6" 160 liter board to a "novice". Her boss, JoeMatera, said...."sell it if he's dumb enough to buy it". REALLY, he was property owner of a spot I worked at for 4 years, 15 years later.
First day out, LakeMerced, no problem. Second say out, Crissy during the 1983 Aussie18 Nationals, winds 17-28mph, 200 lbs windsurfers on 4.7's, me on the stock 6.1....well, YOU do the math.. Very Happy.
I clearly remember weaving between the Aussie18's screaming downwind to the AnitaRock mark, maybe 40 of them, while I floundered not knowing people waterstarted, and didn't know what the footstraps were for. Actually, WHY and WHEN were the problems.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story "Z" !!!!!
Awesome, LOL

Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: