myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
tuning 5.6 sail for max power to replace 7.5 in light wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf. wrote:
that is exactly how he described it. get the rig upright and get away from it.

You know Albeau said something along those lines: high boom and mast track forward gives you a very stable ride in rough conditions. I feel the same way espatially after two high speed downwind crashes, when I realized that my low boom at that time keeps the nose too low and it dives in the back of a higher chop. Nobody says how high dough, so I'm asumming something like chest to shoulder high. This hight feels just about right in powered conditions.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Took KingKong to downhaul for higher winds, as much as NorthIQ's and Prismas, their contemporaries.

I watched Kong, aka Glen Mulvey, break good downhaul lines barehanded trying to downhaul some of those early race sails to spec, and that was "small" ones, in the 6.5 range, for 5.5 winds.

I also see Gorge pros using race sails in the 6.0-6.5 range when I'm totally powered on sinkers on my 3.7 camless/RAF.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem...getting planing early.
For some people, lowering the booms can help, lowering the nose.
For other people, raising the boom works, because along with it, the track goes forward, increasing waterline.
We don't all sail exactly the same.
Tyson at the Gorge can handle a 7.6 slalom race sail, with a 67 wide slalom board, in winds gusting to 31.
I cannot, can you?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detuning a race sail that is designed for sailing wound up in huge conditions makes nearly no sense. batten tips, typically, break when one under down hauls most cammed sails anyway.

zirt, if one tensions a race sail and goes way off the wind, then holding down a 7.6 race sail in nearly gale conditions are pretty easy. race sails are made to be slippery upwind and then allow filling any holes off the wind. thus, size for the holes, and tension for the gusts is the way to deploy race sails for the most part. apparent winds fall off drastically when one steers well down wind.

counter intuitive to most, if one is in gusty, blasty wind, one can often gain more control by steering way downwind, or if in the ditch, straight up the river. try it, you'll feel it right away.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Tyson at the Gorge can handle a 7.6 slalom race sail, with a 67 wide slalom board, in winds gusting to 31.
I cannot, can you?

Dunno ... never sailed any board or sail that big.
But I agree 100% with what
jingebritsen wrote:
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, Tyson and Willhem can go UPWIND really well, and across the wind really well, with 7.6's and gusts around 31, averages at 27.
Just yesterday at Berkeley, gusts to 28 or so, even the toughest guys came in on their 7.6's and 7's, slalom race boards, saying they were getting well OP'ed. I came in at the same time, with a 6.4 3 cam, was well powered, but not overpowered, because my FanaticXXX96 (100) handled the water conditions really well. But I'm old, and tired from tennis, so came in for a 5.5. Wind died right then, of course.
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellow "Elders",
I'd agree with everything said, It's all true as everyone's needs are different with the bazillion factors that differentiate you from me or him.

Ittiandro,
You are a victim of "The Good Deal" and without proper advice you are in danger of going the way of the kiter/kayaker/SUPer/Mt biker, and give up on our great sport like so many other thousands of frustrated intermediate windsurfers have done.

You got a good deal?

Not so much!!!
you got an antique, extremely hard to rig, even harder to find the right mast for, so old the monofilm is brittle, TENT!!!

Now since it's your sail of choice and you have figured out how to rig it (so far without breaking the battens) I do have one positive thing to say that no one else has mentioned. The fact that you are using a stiffer mast than recommended (your 460 won't bend as much as a 430) you will get the maximum possible low end out of your 5.6. Please be sure to give it enough downhaul as to not break the batten tips during rotation.
Other than that go have fun.

BTW my Bread and butter sail is a 5.6 Sailworks Hucker rigged on a 450/25 skinny mast, The stiffer mast keeps the sail from "Folding to leeward" under the load of my 260#'s and the skinny maximizes the luff area to allow for an even deeper draph/camber/foil.

The most powerful rig I can recommend for Ittiandro is a Hucker 6.6 with a 490 skinny.

Light easy to rig and extremely powerful and fast!!

DSC_0047.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Viewed:  12943 Time(s)

DSC_0047.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a mid to later '90's Sailworks Race Slalom, 3 cam, deep draft, only twisting top 2 battens, long boom, huge foot, would plane up earlier than any Hucker.
A Hucker is basically Sailwork's version of Alpha or Duke, or OnshoreWaves.
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zirteab,
I know you mean we'll and ill give you the 5.6's will have similar low end but there's just no way the cammed 5.6 will have better low end than a 6.6 hucker.
Additionally you cannot compare the hucker line to a normal onshore wave sail as (although it will work in onshore wave conditions) it's not an onshore wave sail. The Huckers are high strung, high aspect ratio, high center of effort, high speed sails with amazing low end power, that were designed For JUMPING! The other sails you mentioned especially the duke (the only one you mention that i have sailed)are gutless in comparison.
Have you personally sailed a hucker?
They have amazing range and can be tuned unlike any other sail with their tight leech
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRIMAR wrote:
The Huckers are high strung, high aspect ratio, high center of effort, high speed sails with amazing low end power, that were designed For JUMPING! ...
They have amazing range and can be tuned unlike any other sail with their tight leech

Yes, but most Huckers I see on the shore or the water are detuned to behave like any other good sail ... low strung, ordinary aspect ratio, low COE, jumps like Everyman's B&J sail (if these folks jump at all). Most recreational riders, especially novices, discard its primary purpose either from ignorance of its special features or deliberately to avoid the disadvantages of its Jump Mode. That's sort of like buying a Formula car for commuting to work in town ... for a little old lady or a high school kid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: