myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ISOBARS FINALLY MADE A MISTAKE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot... Are you serious? I am sailing in my firefighter Muscular Dystrophy booties and Mr Clean oven cleaning gloves. I never said it was comfortable yet, just that I was sailing. Pivoting while sailing is much easier on the knees than on land because the water has give or slide and our boards are only relatively stationary. Someone else wrote about avoiding the one foot strap method. Completely accurate because as soon as you lock in just the front foot, in effect you force all the forces through that foot which effectively creates a single stable point and forces all the energy right there. So now you have a condition similar to football players on turf.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, George --
Any idea why so many government websites are kaput? I had tried unsuccessfully for a long time to Google river temps, now that iW has dropped it from their data. Until Zemanski provided some sources, I had no idea the water had warmed up so much so early. I need to go find my gear and remember how to find forecasts.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
Barefoot... Are you serious? I am sailing in my firefighter Muscular Dystrophy booties and Mr Clean oven cleaning gloves. I never said it was comfortable yet, just that I was sailing.

Someone else wrote about avoiding the one foot strap method. Completely accurate because as soon as you lock in just the front foot, in effect you force all the forces through that foot which effectively creates a single stable point and forces all the energy right there. So now you have a condition similar to football players on turf.

With today's air and water temps I'm fine barehanded and barefooted. I'd wear a skimpy neo hood with ear cutouts for falls; full neo hoods destroy my balance completely. And with the skies having cleared way beyond the forecast, maybe I shouldda gone. The next few hours will tell. However, EVERY spring I go out one windy day too soon, only to find nuthin' but extremely gusty crap ... a bad combination with cold water.

You're right about sailing with one foot in. Which provides a stronger base for resisting external forces (e.g., a crash) ... the few ounces of tendons and ligaments of one knee and ankle or the 30-40 pounds of muscle of a bipedal triangle from foot to hips to other foot? The former depends virtually 100% on those ligaments and tendons, the latter virtually zero %.
gmclean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one page with links to water temps:

http://or.water.usgs.gov/projs_dir/pn307.tdg/

I was pretty cold today after about 90 minutes of sailing at Roosevelt. I was wearing a vest with a hood and an ancient Promotion 5/3. Hands were ok until the last 30 minutes, glad to have boots on.

Any recommendations for a new wetsuit for early spring and coastal sailing?

Lots of sailors out today.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've relied on Promotion and Second Wind for my last dozen or so higher end suits, plus anything from Costco to Walmart to Ace Hardware for cheap 2mm suits for summer's fringes. Second Wind gets in a huge rack of many brands of all types of suits about midsummer and sells them at 20 to 50 cents on the dollar. I've gotten some great top-of-the-line steamers there for way under $100 ... new, of course, but closeouts and factory seconds.

Thanks for some more water temp sources.

Yeah, today's air temps ON THE WATER at Roosevelt barely broke 50 degrees; the warmest I saw was 52, because the air over the river is chilled by the river. The wind graph wasn't as gusty as expected, but I do see a couple of potential swims, particularly as the wind plummeted from maxed-out 3.2/sinker speeds at 3:30. That's nasty in cold water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: