myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone give some feedback on Exocet Cross IV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Anyone give some feedback on Exocet Cross IV? Reply with quote

Windsurfing Mag. did a review on several do-it-all boards, but left Exocet Cross IV out (http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/complete-2013-freewave-test.html).

So anyone own a Cross IV and care to share some feedback about this board?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might call Derek at Delta Windsurf, 916-777-2299. He's probably bored silly this weekend, anyway (no wind.) If I remember correctly (always a crapshoot) he told me he tried a Cross IV 114.
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the 84L and sailed it only one time so far (the demo)... still getting things set up for me. I hope to sail it tomorrow again, so should have some feedback. My first impression was that it planed early and turned very well. That can be a very subjective matter, but put it this way, I was one of the last people off the water as the wind was fading when I demoed it.

BTW, I bought the Pro version... LOVE IT! Light weight and good looking.

Double edit: the Exocet footstraps psuk! They are impossible to adjust big enough for using a water shoe. Have them replaced with something you like.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing MAG was the USA magazine. Windsurf is the UK one, still in existance.

Boards is the UK one
I think this is the link you wanted , they only have paper a few times a year, but tests from/on Boardseeker could be valid for your Exocet

http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/complete-2013-freewave-test.html

if you are looking at the above test size, get the Witchcraft Chakra.

The difference between 80--114L is substantial and a test of one to compare is of little good.

RIDE in Hatteras carry Exocet, and if you still have some interest in Fanatic , Ocean Air in Hatteras carry them.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nodak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
I hope to sail it tomorrow again, so should have some feedback.

Please do and I look forward to it. I'm considering the Cross IV 114 as my first short board. Apparently it's faster to plane and more user friendly/less technical to sail than a Fanatic freewave boards. And not as tight turning as the Fanatic ones, however. Less money than the Fanatic too.
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodak wrote:
SeaSpray wrote:
I hope to sail it tomorrow again, so should have some feedback.

Please do and I look forward to it. I'm considering the Cross IV 114 as my first short board. Apparently it's faster to plane and more user friendly/less technical to sail than a Fanatic freewave boards. And not as tight turning as the Fanatic ones, however. Less money than the Fanatic too.

OK, if this is your first short board, IMHO the Cross would be an excellent choice. It's a very easy and fun board to sail. Unless you are very good at planing jibes, then the "less technical" Cross would be better for you. It will help you make your planing jibes, rather than you having to struggle to keep a "turnier" board on a plane. And yes, the Cross planes easily IMHO.

In fact, I'm also looking into the 114. Just get one, you can't go wrong with it.

Regarding the 84, I did get to sail it today. Like I said, it's just easy and fun. I am still fiddling with the foot straps and need to do something about it. If I can't get my foot in as far as I like, I can't sail at 100%. BTW, I already replaced the Exo straps with DaKine... the DaKine are better, but still aren't working for me... I need a bigger strap that holds its shape.
nodak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The Pro edition board's aesthetics are so nice that it'd look good mounted on the wall during winter months.

Regarding straps: I was contemplating replacing my stock Kona One foot straps with the Dakine X-Lace Wave ones. Are these you are referring to?
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodak wrote:
Very nice. The Pro edition board's aesthetics are so nice that it'd look good mounted on the wall during winter months.

Regarding straps: I was contemplating replacing my stock Kona One foot straps with the Dakine X-Lace Wave ones. Are these you are referring to?

I replaced them with the DaKine Pro Form. Not because I know anything special about them, but on the dealer's recommendation. They are comfy (if you can fit into them) and are very very easy to adjust. Incidentally, I just did something that's probably sacrilege to some, but I'm thinking it will work... I cut the neoprene loose from one end of the strap right down by the deck of the board. This is what was keeping the straps from retaining the large size I like. The neoprene was too tight and was basically squeezing the straps closed too much. Even with my foot in there they wouldn't open up enough. Now that the neoprene is cut away, the straps stay nice and open. The only possible negative is that the core of the strap is slightly exposed on that end, but because I wear booties all the time it shouldn't be a problem. I will take a pic and post it shortly.

EDIT: I added the pic... you can see how the neoprene is now detached on one end. The Velcro adjustable straps that hold everything together are unaffected. The straps won't pull apart and open up on me while sailing etc.

Strap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.57 KB
 Viewed:  19634 Time(s)

Strap.jpg

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtually everyone that's demo'ed the crosses has great things to say about them. quick to plane, great turns, smooth ride, good top end, and great in waves. 114 pro is in my not too distant future.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: