myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jumping tips please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
I realize I don't need to jump high to nail a forward loop. I don't think I'm interrested in any other moves.

If what you're focused on is looping, then don't worry about jump technique. For looping you get the nose to pop up (by unsheeting after hitting a bump) and then lift your back leg to get the rest of the board off the water. In ABK clinics when teaching loops they make a point of saying DON'T jump your board. It's one reason why flatwater looping is popular amongst people who can loop...they're not looking for air.

(full disclosure: I've not hit a loop yet, though I've worked on them, and gotten ragdolled mightily!)

adywind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which side of the chop do you think I should aim for, the upwind or the downwind ones? It seems logical to me to use the steeper upwind faces and the incoming wind to get a higher air and the downwind ones for my loop experiments /lower but longer jumps/. But I may be wrong on this.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can jump going downwind in moderate winds and light chop?
I can't get more than a few inches like that, by jerking the board off the water retracting my legs.
A sharp turn to windward doesn't work well for me either because of the loss of
speed mentioned by another poster.
I get my jumps on variations of a broad reach.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking moderate winds, around 20 averages...
You jump upwind, hooked in, pinching slightly upwind, off the faces of the windswell for the highest jumps possible on those conditions, with the most hangtime, if you're powered up.
You can also unhook and heel turn your board upwind into the face for a shove it.
For learning forwards, it's safer to jump off the back of the windswell, the board now heading slightly off the wind, so you can land on your back every time and further your rotation. This downwind jump us usually low and possibly the nose doesn't clear the water, which is just fine for learning forwards.
bates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip from someone who had the same problem for a while. I was not weighting my back foot in the trough before the wave (this got the nose going up), then jump off your back foot more. I think I had just too much of a front foot mast foot pressure approach. Try a couple where you really compress your back foot as you go up the ramp. Then jump and pull your back foot up.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Which side of the chop do you think I should aim for, the upwind or the downwind ones?

Hitting the upwind ramps for jumping provides the added advantage of exposing the board bottom to the wind, which helps lift the board underneath you. For looping, downwind gets you closer to the "controlled catapult".

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you can both hit the upwind ramps and learn to loop. Instead of hitting a jump initiated downwind then reaching back and looking back, one can hit a windward ramp and rotate forward and downwind in the same motion. The exercise is to practice sailing slowly then simply roll over the front of the board like a summersault.

The rig will follow a diagonal route through the air. Doing this right after a windward ramp allows pushes the nose downwind before the serious upside down starts. There's a video of the method out there, perhaps a Cribby video?

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be picky about your ramp, this is important. Don't just try to jump off of every little lump you come across, you will waste a lot of effort. Even if the chop is only 12" tall, there will be some very rounded humps and there will be pointy sections. Always jump off of the pointy/peaked sections. These are what get the nose of your board pointed upward and get you off of the water surface.

Also, on any given day, unless the wind and chop are directly lined up, there will be a favored jump side (port or starboard tack). This is the tack which allows you to hit the chop more closely to a 90 degree angle. The more square you can hit the chop, the easier it is to jump. It's not to say you can't jump on the opposite tack, but it will be more difficult, so I would focus on whichever side happens to be favored.

Make sure you're powered up. It is a fine line. Too much power and you'll have trouble maintaining control and sheeting in as you hit the ramp. Too little power and your board will be stuck to the water. It's definitely better to err a little to the big side.

The more jumps you attempt, the better you will become at it. It's mostly a timing issue, so be persistent and it will come.

sm
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How important the wind direction is for jumping? I mean onshore vs sideshore conditions and should I avoid the one or the other in the learning phase in case I decide to go practicing on the Great Lake?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yer butt on the water ... ANY water ... and start working on these tips and any others you can find (SEARCH the forum for similar threads). Learning is about TOW, not perfect conditions.

Another tip, from those threads: Stand flat footed on a trampoline. With one thrust of your feet, jump as high as you can. (You do that by slightly flexing your knees so your cg drops a bit, then driving your feet into the trampoline bed.)

Do the same thing on your board, driving your feet into the cusp, or base, of any piece of chop or swell you can hit as high speed. Then lift your feet, as others suggested.

You just jumped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: