myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jumping tips please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
How important the wind direction is for jumping? I mean onshore vs sideshore conditions and should I avoid the one or the other in the learning phase in case I decide to go practicing on the Great Lake?

Unless you're sailing in a spot with fixed wave direction (ie an ocean beach) the direction is unimportant. You're hitting windblown ramps. More important will be (may be) the bottom characteristics in different spots. Some location will have sand bars that set up bigger and or cleaner ramps.

I think you need to decide what your goals are. The technique differences for popping the board before a loop are considerably different than for jumping for altitude.

adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
The technique differences for popping the board before a loop are considerably different than for jumping for altitude.

It will be awesome if you or somebody else can describe them in a compact manner so we can wrap up this thread and make it a helpfull guyde for those who are interested . Thank you !
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, but if the picture you presented in post #2 of this thread is indicative of your typical jumping ability, then you should not be worrying about looping at this point. You need to become more proficient at getting clear of the water and comfortable in the air before you even think about trying to rotate.
Just get out there and work on hitting quality ramps trying to get as high as possible, landing cleanly, etc. Don't muddy the waters trying to figure out subtle techniques for looping, etc, you're not there yet.

sm
damel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bred2shred is right. There are so many ways to improve your jumping before looping and a very important part of looping is being confident your gear will release cleanly from the ramp so you have 0 hesitation initiating the loop. You should be able to cleanly jump while in the harness and do a solid tail grab before you start working on looping. Trust me as someone who is just barely starting to loop the more you work on just jumping the more it will pay off.

There are so many suggestions and resources available about how to get air I will give just a few pieces of advice about jumping in wind chop ramps. Because the ramps are pointing straight upwind you need to use your speed not the power in the sail to get up the ramp be sure to sail slightly off the wind fast while spotting a ramp; once you chose a ramp be sure to continue sailing slightly off the wind until there is nothing between you and the ramp. At this point you should still have plenty of speed so turn upwind launch off the ramp and as you release from the water or are in the air try to point yourself more downwind by tucking and flying the rig and the board.

Most sailors sail straight at a ramp when they see one but there is usually some brutal chop in the way that slows you up and bounces the board around just before you try and jump. Based on the pic you posted I think that is what you are doing. You will be amazed at how much speed you can get sailing off the wind and only turning up for the ramp once there is no chop in the way.

Once you get these steps down it will be easier to get air and you can work on being more efficient using all of the usual tips that have been included in this post. PS- if the ramp is really short and steep the tip of pressing hard on your back leg as you go off the ramp then tucking it as you take off works really well and transfers speed into height which is everything in a jump especially when jumping off wind chop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: