myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jumping tips please
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Jumping tips please Reply with quote

Tomorrow looks like a good day for my 93 lt FSW and the 5.8 Kult maybe even the 5.0 Revo. Unfortunately the wind direction will limit my choice only to a small lake. That's why I need some tips -rig and board trim and technik as well -for jumping as high as possible out of those small ramps.
Things that you feel really helped you with jumping. Real world stuff, not theories please!!!

Last edited by adywind on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot the picture of course Embarassed
Here is me looking pathetic on the same lake in similar wind conditions. The board was like glued to the water. Check the slalom rig trim-max downhaul+ min outhaul-not the best combo for jumping high I guess?!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  421.04 KB
 Viewed:  20573 Time(s)

image.jpg

norcom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boardseekermag.com/technique/jem-hall-chop-hop-095/

http://www.boardseekermag.com/technique/jem-hall-popping-097/

and once you got those two down, it's time for
http://www.boardseekermag.com/features/jem-hall-vulcan-099/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Check the slalom rig trim-max downhaul+ min outhaul-not the best combo for jumping high I guess?!

The more you downhaul a sail, the lower the draft will go. For jumping, you want a higher draft, so that you can hang under the draft while sailing through the air. You pretty much killed the sail with that trim. Check the images here or here for a comparison. Don't look at the images for the Koncept, though - that is a slalom sail and therefore should be rigged like one. The Kult is not, and rigging it with too much downhaul and too little outhaul makes little sense.

Assuming that you have the right mast for the sail, rigging it according to specs should give you a higher draft, and make jumping easier. A few other tips:
- Be fast. Faster + smaller ramp beats slower + bigger ramp.
- Move your back hand back on the boom.
- Pick a ramp that you can hit on a beam reach or slightly down wind. It's easier to find ramps when going upwind, but you'll just plop right back down after takeoff.
- For the takeoff, look at the Jem Hall chop-hop video
- Once in the air, pull your heels to up to your butt and expose the underside of the board to the wind can get under it and help keep you in the air.
- Keep sailing while in the air.
- Don't land flat!
- If you happen to make it to Maui, take a jumping lesson with Matt Pritchard.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good,good, good keep it coming guys, the clock is ticking! Shocked
Do you think I'm not sheating out enough to release the nose more? I also recall I was trying to lift with both legs - like jumping from the ground and just pushing the nose down by doing that. I think I need to lift the front leg only and push with the back one-like on a skateboard, right? And what about the arms to lift or push or what?
Seems like I did it all wrong that day, but all the months before I was learning how to not make the board jump around - for my slalom aspirations-so it just carried out. I think I'm chop hopping correctly and lifting my back leg so the tail doesn't spin out by landing . But for a really high intentional jump that I can eventually extend in the forward loop I so much crave-more work is needed.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this forward loop video, you don't need to jump high. At least to start off with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iTjxJTiTmSg

But I can't do any of the jumps/loops/whatever. Smile
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamp down hard with your back foot at the last moment and turn slightly downwind when your retract that leg in midair. This will help a lot with the landing esp when your start getting overhead air.
If you unhook you will jump more nose upward. Jumping hooked in makes you jump a longer span with the tail higher but may send you to the emergency room like me when you finally blow a landing.
The best thing I learned in a group loop lesson with Pritchard is to practice your loops in knee deep water without the board. Just leap off your feet holding the boom and dive around your mast over and over. It doesn't hurt at all or damage the sail and will give you confidence in midair to commit.
As you jump higher, failing to commit will get you hurt.
Doesn't help much but in a side shore wind like Maui you will need to learn how not to jump while passing overhead break. Guys in the vids can just charge the wave and get mast high jumps without any technique at all.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Do you think I'm not sheating out enough to release the nose more?

Don't do that. Sheet in. Sheeting out to "release the nose" is a good strategy if you need a couple feet of altitude before you throw a loop (the nose comes up, then you yank up with your back foot, and you have 24" of air.) To jump you want to be cranking in (sheeting in) as the nose is in the trough in front of your ramp (even if it's a small ramp.) Then the combination of the ramp and the water pushing back against your compressed nose will launch you.

Do not sheet out to jump. Don't be mislead by the nose coming up a few feet...you're not jumping, you're doing a small tail walk.

keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Mr Double Loop Goya about big air . He said dont jump any higher than you care to fall. You have no wings.
Once he hurt his back he stopped jumping completely.
Ever seen Stone jump? He can work with the sail and hang there for several seconds. Looks like a mirage.
Gets him top points every time
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points guys, thanks! I realize I don't need to jump high to nail a forward loop. I don't think I'm interrested in any other moves.
Anyway, Saturday become prety rough here. Winds gusting 18-38mph . I swear at some point it went thru my mind that these Midwest lakes are the purgatory of windsurfing. There are no clean wave sets , it blows from everywhere and it's a mess. It was realy togh and I couldn't do anything meaningful besides the involuntary chop hops. I tried at least twice but I ended up with no power in the sail and nothing happend besides me ending in the water again / i tryed it the sheat out way/.I need more relaxed conditions to be able to try and make a sense of it all.
Meanwhile keep it comming please !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: