myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want super smooth chop absorbing 90-100 liter board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My fading memories recall smooth riding on my brother's custom Open Ocean in the gorge

All 3 boards below meet your criteria. From left to right 8'2" 80ltr, 8'4" 95ltr, 8'6" 120ltr. These boards sail a little smaller than their specs. Meaning they like to be wound up to their limits. That's when they really shine. Yesterday was a good example. Sailed 6.0 and 8'6" when it was a gusty 5-30 depending on what part of the lake you were on. The big board let me get through the lulls and handle the gusts really well.

02102013849.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB
 Viewed:  13978 Time(s)

02102013849.JPG

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked, only 95 was between 90 and 100. And "wound up to their limits" can mean "needs small hurricane to go" to some people, in some locations. Gorge boards work great in some places, sometimes.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Last time I checked, only 95 was between 90 and 100. And "wound up to their limits" can mean "needs small hurricane to go" to some people, in some locations. Gorge boards work great in some places, sometimes.

OP posted about OO's and how nice of ride they are. I am only confirming that fact. You take it how you want.

And, as I should have made more clear, I was at a very small northern Cal. lake. Not the Gorge. This board was made for 6.0-7.5 sail conditions for where I sail. Rio Vista, Rancho Seco and sometimes Folsom......I'll catch hell for the Folsom reference because I've been there maybe 3 times in the last 25+years.

Hurl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth ride and speed comes from the Tabou Rocket. They have a deep double concave that smooths out the worst chop. A very nice board, all sizes work well. The 105 shines. What area do you live? You really need to demo one, If you have bad knees , this is your board. Check with Matt Pritchard in Maui. Pritchard windsurfing site. I think all rocket riders would agree. We have a lot of the used green mistral flows for sale in our area if that is what you want. OBX has the demos at( Wind NC) shop. Cool Cool
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen the latest rockets, they no longer have the deep double cc. to me that's great. deep doubles inhibit pumping. in florida that translates to 40% less planing.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question - Why do "deep doubles inhibit pumping" ???

Or... do you mean that deep doubles inhibit earlier planning than a flat bottom?
(Because, I can't see why "a bottom shape" has anything to do with how or if, I pump a sail.)

Next - It's interesting that board builders have marketed both concepts very well, in the last 25 years. #1 - Boards with concaves plane earlier. #2 -Boards with flat bottoms plane earlier.
I've found one thing to be pretty consistent - The most skilled sailor, with the most fitness, with the most powerful sail... will plane earlier Smile

Anyway, BACK on topic - "IF" flat bottoms plane earlier, well ok...
But this thread has been about, "I want a smooth riding board through crappy chop".
Well, if a board with concaves rides smoother... but takes 1 or 2 mph more wind, to plane... than board builders better make both... because both kinds of board buyers are out there.
BTW - I'm not saying that this is true or false... just commenting on the concept and marketing and this thread.
Greg Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things being equal, I've found boards with dual caves to plan earlier
than flat bottomed boards. To me this makes sense, because you
have effectively increased the bottom surface area with caves over flat.

I am a fan of caves (heck I'm a fan of chines), they are smoother,
but they are slower than flat bottoms. For me that's not a problem.

I can't imagine what physics of a cave would inhibit pumping, unless it's
the increased drag.

-Craig

gregnw44 wrote:
Question - Why do "deep doubles inhibit pumping" ???

Or... do you mean that deep doubles inhibit earlier planning than a flat bottom?
(Because, I can't see why "a bottom shape" has anything to do with how or if, I pump a sail.)

Next - It's interesting that board builders have marketed both concepts very well, in the last 25 years. #1 - Boards with concaves plane earlier. #2 -Boards with flat bottoms plane earlier.
I've found one thing to be pretty consistent - The most skilled sailor, with the most fitness, with the most powerful sail... will plane earlier Smile

Anyway, BACK on topic - "IF" flat bottoms plane earlier, well ok...
But this thread has been about, "I want a smooth riding board through crappy chop".
Well, if a board with concaves rides smoother... but takes 1 or 2 mph more wind, to plane... than board builders better make both... because both kinds of board buyers are out there.
BTW - I'm not saying that this is true or false... just commenting on the concept and marketing and this thread.
Greg Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earliest- and longest-planing board for its size was a relatively flat-bottomed Starboard Evo XTV. It was also the roughest-riding board I have ever owned when powered up in chop.

Notice the word, "was", as in past tense.

The most brutal ride I ever experienced was on an early Windance Gorge board. Pure flat rail to rail, and I'm sure the two or three reaches I put on it 20 years ago are responsible for my aching knee and widely claimed insanity.

Flat bad.

One of the smoothest rides I ever experienced was on a one-off carbon (normally rough) Gorge board on which a CAD/CAM error doubled the intended vee.

Vee good.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go free style wave! I noticed a big difference when I switched from freeride to fsw. Tabou rocket is great but the 3s will be better at smoothing the chop ride.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the attribute that makes double cc boards "stick to the water" also makes the hull, more whetted when subplaning, stick as well. dunno how else to tell it. if you have to pump to plane as often as some, maybe you'd appreciate that aspect more? here in florida, pump to plane is half the sessions available. lots sit and watch that can't be bothered.

lotsa boards with a subtle vee and the right rocker and planform are smooth as silk in big chop. esp. if one sails lit up with lotsa MFP. those that don't sail those boards correctly and don't find out how to , become part of the isobar camp. wish less people would pass along incomplete information. got questions about how to sail a race board? find a racer head near you. in the ditch that's the event site, right?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: