myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New fin - waste of money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many board companies give you the biggest fin to go with the board - not sure about JP.

personally i do not like going to the high end of sail range on a board.
my buddy who is lighter than i, uses a severne 9-oh on a carve 121 !and he loves it !!
I tried a 10-oh with the supplied 51 cm fin on an AHD FF 160.
It was only okay.
However, i prefer this sail on my BIC Techno Formula which is 94 cm wide, 170 liters and 67 cm OFO - so, my fin is 66 cm !!! yes, mini-Formula.
On this board i find it is better than OK

i will be surprised if the JP X-cite 145 is more than 48 cm OFO !!
many people suggest against going over the OFO measurement ...
JP has confirmed it is 50.8 cm
go from 48 to 50 or 51 ?
difficult to say ...

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure you'd get an over better performance with a larger fin. putting money and time into technique might be a better bet. the title is a bit misleading, tricktionary has tons of basics in it. pumping technique, how's yours? there are tons of subtleties to our sport to get the most out of what you have that may make as much difference, or more, than the cost of time and money with a bigger fin. get some books or DVD's and put your mind and technique to the quest of getting the most out of what you've got. cheers.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given John I's comment, I thought I would comment a bit further. Although he is right that good technique and aggressive pumping can allow one to get more out of a situation where the odds are against you a bit, there's no question that a proper size relationship is necessary between your sail and fin, particularly if you want to easily get things going in the lightest of winds.

I mentioned the 46cm Tectonics Spitfire earlier. I bought it at Mike Zajicek's recommendation with the new Mike's Lab board he made for me. I matched everything up with a Windwing 7.7 CS Race, a 4 camber sail. The combination was outstanding. However, went the mast broke and ripped the sail a number of years later, I bought an 8.1 Windwing CS Race to replace it. It was also a 4 camber sail. For some reason, the new sail felt like a dog, as it didn't seem to have the power and drive of the older 7.7. Based on Zajicek's recommendation I picked up the 50cm Tectonics Mirage. From the moment I tried the bigger fin, it was perfect. I couldn't believe the difference. It was night and day.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is a lot of difference between good aftermarket fins and those that come stock with boards coming out of Cobra. Even if you were to replace the stock 48cm with a aftermarket 48cm, I think that you would find notable improvement. Also, when you ultimately unload the JP in the future, you can sell it with the stock fin and keep the better aftermarket fin.

Regarding your predicament, you might want to follow John's recommendations to improve your technique, but still buy a slightly larger fin. I think a fin in the 50-52cm range would be the call. Also, I would open your mind a bit to consider a course slalom design rather than a swept freeride design. The more upright broader tip design of the former would greatly improve early planing and provide much more windward drive. I think that slalom and course slalom fins get an unwarranted bad rap with respect to turnability and jibing ease, as all my experience says otherwise.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider,

I would go with a Select S1 XL slalom fin size 51 cm / 53 cm.
If you follow the Selector on the webpage to pick a fin size you see that your board 76 cm wide a 9.0 would call for a 51 cm. Now you use a Ezzy 9.5 the draft is pretty ok not to far back so you wont overload the fin when you push to hard on the back foot. Allowing you to stick with the suggested fin size.

You will be fine with Gybes don't worry. This S1 fin has an almost perfect flex/twist control and foil design so it will be perfect for you way better then a free ride fin. And most important it gets you planning early and easy and stay on plan even in some lulls.

my phone number is 310-729-1361 please feel free to text or call.
This size fin in PB takes 2 weeks or so to make.

Aloha
Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Thinking about this got me thinking I might just go for a formula board and I'm talking to someone about a board that might be available but the advice here seems excellent and I really appreciate the detailed replies. Jurg, if I don't go the formula route I'll give you a call. The advice to work on technique is well taken and I dare say I've been doing that over the past few seasons, I've gone from abandoning the short board as I couldn't get it to plane at all due to aweful technique to just about getting planing gybes but I realize I've just cracked the surface. In Minnesota the season is short, I work a ton and have many time demands so when I can sail I do so whether the wind is 5 or 25, but so much of the time I'm on that edge and if I could get more quality time it would be great. The new windsup 11'8" in the garage will help on those on-off days but other days seem good for the Jp145 and it would be nice to be on the plane just a bit more consistently. Thanks again for the help.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formula board gone get you planning early the reason is a such wide board (as the big (135-145 L slalom boards too) can carry a long fin aka a 9.5 meter sail can bring more power / load on to the fin the fin bends a bit and pushes the tail up and wuuups you start planing. Good luck.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-CCKEDyYw

that's the next step Laughing Laughing

have fun sailing and good wind.

Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurg, awesome video. I watched step into liquid a few months ago with the surf guys towing in on a similar board. Pretty amazing. That thing would be a nightmare on my lake with weeds, but then a formula fin would be nearly as bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: