myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newport RI windsurfing launch spots
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Newport RI windsurfing launch spots Reply with quote

Where can I launch in the Newport RI area? I will be there Friday, July 5th or Saturday July 6th. I'm using a Kona One and 7.4, 8.2 or 9.0 sail. I am not a wave sailor. I'm looking for a cruising experience. RI will be my 48th state.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 3rd beach is the call..... http://www.newport-discovery-guide.com/newport-ri-beaches.html
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Fort Adams- much more interesting than 3rd beach...it'll be 15-20 in the afternoon.
pgcsail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also go for 3rd beach. Ft. Adams will be full of power and sailboats who have no idea how to handle you once you are up to speed.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick responses. My wife may choose 3rd due to the bird sanctuary nearby. I'd prefer Ft. Adams as part of Newport proper but if the water is too busy with powerboats would choose 3rd. Having good choices like those is very nice. I'll report back.

Late on the 4th I sailed from the Ellacoya State Park boat ramp on Lake Winnepeesaukee, near Gilford NH. The boat traffic was not as bad as I expected. The warm water encouraged swimming.
braden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, First Beach or Easton Beach. The main beach is off limits but at the north end there is a little stream that is the border between Middletown and Newport, small parking lot with free parking on R (often full though). Do not park on the L as it belongs to the restaurant.
Third beach is easy parking and launching but may be blocked from the south wind as it faces NE.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 5:30 pm we limped through the traffic zoo of historic Newport on July 4th to get to Ft Adams just to see the conditions. We found a parking spot next to the water 2 spaces from the northern end. I carried the board about 150 yards from there to a tiny, pebble covered "beach" facing Brenton Cove.

I had one run past the northern end of the land, planing & bouncing from wave to wave. I quickly found the combination of strong wind & choppy waves made my 7.4 sail too much for me to handle. I did a rope jibe without falling then planed back into Brenton Cove. I sailed among the moored boats for a while avoiding the ones moving. I could have planed around with a 5.5 with great fun instead of a constant struggle (still fun) with the 7.4. My TOW was about 30-45 minutes. Naturally, while re-loading the van I noticed the wind had dropped enough to be manageable with the 7.4. If we had eaten first and sailed later I'd have a different story. I'd like to come back and sail more of Newport someday or for lots of days.

I'm not sure if my launch spot was a legal one, but there was no one around to tell me "no". There was a kiter who I think launched from the NW side before I launched from the NE side of that point.

Thanks again for the launch advice. That was state # 48 for me. I'm doing someplace in Connecticut today (July 6th), probably near Groton or New London.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Del,

Stay as far east as possible. New London - Groton may work.

Ledge light has had wind for several days in the 15-20 range, but the sensor is 20 meters above the surface, and on hot days wind at the surface can be much less. The station is maintained by Uconn, and there is a webcam anyone can access, that gives good views. You can find it here:

www.mysound.uconn.edu/apmet-stn.html

I Live in Old Saybrook, about 20 miles west of New London, and have been sailing my 10' Starboard Windsup every day since I got it. Not quite enough wind here for a shorboard. It's been 5-15 here reliably since this Bermuda High parked itself a few weeks ago. Block Island might be worth checking out. There is a Ferry out of New London. There is a huge salt pond that gets good wind with nice sandy beach.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I typed the link wrong, try this:

www.mysound.uconn.edu/apmet_stn.html
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried today at Williams Beach in Mystic CT, but did not pay attention to tide tables. Lucky for me a local guy saw me rigging, checked out my 46 cm fin and said the low tide...which we had then (about 3:40 pm) would keep me from sailing there.

So I'm still looking to score a session in Connecticut. I'm opening a new message thread for that purpose..."Need a launch site near Niantic CT."

Thanks for all of the help.

Del
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: