myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing GPS units?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing GPS units? Reply with quote

Anyone know what the latest is in windsurfing GPS units? Is it still the GT31?

Brian
www.miwindsurfing.com
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems. There's a GPS receiver with 10x the sampling frequency (10 Hz) out there that is supposedly a lot more accurate, but that's for do-it-yourself projects so far. It would be nice if someone would make this into a commercially available GT-31 replacement. The 1 Hz sampling in the GT-31 is a bit too slow for accurate jibe analysis.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the GT-31 might be the approved unit for actual speed-sailing events.
But I have a Garmin GPS unit that you wear like a wristwatch, that works great for me. All I care about, is the top max speed for "that session"... and the avg. speed for the sesh, and distance traveled, etc. And in addition, if I want more than those quick stats I read off the Garmin unit... I can download the data onto the computer. And then transfer that data, to a site like Endomondo.com to see a map of where I sailed (which is interesting if you actually sail somewhere, besides back and forth). And endomondo also has other data and speed stats on the map you get, that can be interesting.

This is technology from 2 to 5 years ago (I think)... but is plenty good enough for me.

What are the new tech systems that you guys use... say, from smart phones. What data do you get... is it accurate... can you get maps and other stats on the computer with it ???
How do you do it... is it easy for the non-tech type?

Greg Smile
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
In the past, the wristwatch style Garmins were not surviving the splash. Is yours really waterproof?
Brian
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Mine is the Garmin Foretrex 201 - (I don't think they're still making 'em).
I bought it approx. 4 years ago... AND... they probably came out approx. 4 years before that. So, it's not current start of the art technology. Which is WHY I'm asking others about using new smart ph apps (or whatever the new tech is).

But regarding my Foretrex 201, you asked a question -
Well, I've been really happy with it... and wish they were still being produced.
I had heard a couple reports, about "not the best water-proofing". But I've used it quite a bit in more than 4 years... all windsurfing... many hi-speed catapults, smashing into the water, which must but GREAT water force onto the unit... And it's still waterproof. All functions still work, like new.

Most of my sailing is in freshwater... but I've also used it in saltwater many times. And when I do, I always rinse it well when I get home. I figure the possible corrosion from being soaked in saltwater (there are some exposed metal contact points where you attach the charger) would not be good. Anyway, it shows no wear from all my freshwater use. And because of the rinse I give it after being in saltwater... it still works and looks brand new.

Then only issue, happened last summer after another hi speed launch in the Gorge... one side-pin that holds the unit to the Velcro/webbing watch-band broke. It popped right out. I still need to get a new pin, which is available from a watch store. But in the meantime, I've just wrapped a rubber band around it... and no worries.
Like I said... I wish they still made 'em... some store may have some somewhere... I've never looked, as mine's fine.
Greg Smile
almineev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attach my Garmin 301 to the mast right above the boom. It the safest place wrt any kind of falls and mast rarely goes deep in water in case of a swim.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almineev wrote:
I attach my Garmin 301 to the mast right above the boom. It the safest place wrt any kind of falls and mast rarely goes deep in water in case of a swim.

Hey Alex, how's it going Smile
This thread, got me shopping and researching a bit...
So - Alex do you have the Foretrex 301... or the Forerunner 301 ??
Garmin makes both... and they are similar in what they look like, and their dimensions... and their features.
And for windsurfing, they would both tell me what I want to know, just the same as my good old Foretrex 201 does.

The biggest difference for us windsurfers is that the (new) Foretrex 201 has replaceable AAA batteries... and the Forerunner 301 has a built-in rechargeable battery.
THIS "might be" a concern to windsurfers, because although both units have the same water proof rating (min performance is 30 min submerged, 1 meter)... how long will the Foretrex hold up compared to the Forerunner?
My concern, is the removable door to access the AAA batteries in the Foretrex. Because over time, it seems the water proof-ness of that door (which is removed and replaced every 12 - 18 hours of battery life) will not be as water proof as the Forerunner.
The current Forerunner with the built-in rechargeable battery has a sealed case at the factory. The battery is not designed to ever be removed.
THIS is the same design as my old Foretrex 201 (built-in permanent battery)and it works great. Water-proof for several years of hi-speed crashes... charges great, lasts about the same time, at least 12 hours.

Anyway, I question whether the style with AAA batteries and a removable door will be as water proof as the style with a non-removable door.

What do all think...
Greg -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: