myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to windsurf in North Carolina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Where to windsurf in North Carolina Reply with quote

am an intermediate windsurfer from Portland, OR who plans to visit Corolla this August. I will be there for a week. I have sailed mostly in Hood River, with a little time in Corpus Christi. I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to go and rentals also. Thank you.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wayyyyyy to lazy to answer this question given the amount of info out there Smile A few minutes of forum searching should give you some answers..

www.wind-nc.com

www.oceanairsports.com

both great shops that will rent you great gear in Avon, on the outer banks.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
forwards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oceanair sports is the most convenient for Avon, though Fox watersports in Buxton is not too far away either and has some decent gear too. I have rented from both.

Summer sailing is generally limited to Pamlico sound. "Canadian Hole" which is half way between Avon and Buxton has super easy access and good flat water conditions. Bathtub warm water that is waist deep in most places. Summer winds can be very light and I have been there many times when I didn't get any sailable (shortboard) winds the entire week. Summer winds tend to be SW, and build as weak dying cold fronts sag south. Consider yourself lucky if you get more than 2 days. If a hurricane comes everything changes and there are many more options. When it blows, ocean side sailing is tricky due to steep shore break but can be do-able if you have the skills and wind. I've also sailed in hatteras village in the ferry channel which is fun as long as you have wind and enough skills to avoid ferry traffic. Can also sail the inlet between ocracoke and hatteras if you have an SUV and ORV regs permit access and watch currents.
forwards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the OP was staying in Corolla... not Avon... which changes things. Avon is ~1.5hr south of Corolla and summer thermals favor Avon over other areas. You might get some sound-side thermals farther north but probably lighter. Still a light wind situation in either place that time of year. If you are going only for windsurfing I would suggest going later and would stay in the Avon/Buxton area and skip Corolla.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you post your question in the Eastern forum.
crashpile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks to responders Reply with quote

I posted this previously in the Eastern forum, no responses. I have poked around in the forums a bit, but haven't found what I've been looking for. I realize that I am 1.5 hours from sailing now, though didn't before. Also learned that this the perhaps the worst month to sail in NC, according to a few sources. Getting together with family in Corolla, so other lodging options are not a possibility. Looks like sailing is not too likely for me. Thanks for the replies though they are not looking too great for sailing.
forwards

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been vacationing with my east coast siblings in the outer banks for >30 years off and on, and have stayed in Duck, Nags Head, Avon, Buxton, Hatteras and Ocracoke, usually during the summer but sometimes in the fall. August is probably the worst for wind, unless you get hurricanes or tropical storms. I've seen people sailing in the sound in Nags Head, and seem to recall sailors at the alligator bridge and Duck sound side. Not sure about the current state of rentals up north so that and the wind will be the determining factor on where you can sail. Sup might be another option, especially at Hatteras point which also has some really interesting terrain and sea life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: