myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona Surf, Sandy disaster board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braden

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've seen mention of Gorilla Glue for fixing boards.

I used it for a furniture repair and 1) it does expand as it cures; 2) there is absolutely no way to clean it up (that I could find, anyway) so be careful with it.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

must correct this line: broad bonds that deep in the hull may not necessarily need to be that strong, IMHO.

yes, GG works fine for low pressure bonds that may not require fiber reinforcements. does expand about 3 to 1 in volume when it cures. use sparingly with some sort of clamping.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
gorilla glue will dry with no water applications, just takes longer. my guess, GG then "clamp" it with some phone books or such. not too much as to compress it too much. broad bonds that deep in the hull may not necessarily NEED TO be that strong, IMHO. this is a beater board right? why spend too much time and materials on the project? fix it, go play with it, gain some TOW skills. the market will have plenty of planing long boards that will get better soon.

Hey, what happened to this being the ideal board for a desert island?

Just getting all of the badly damaged EVA off the rails is going to take hours, so I'm going to try to repair it right, since the time difference between right and ugly isn't that great (my "right" might be ugly anyway).
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify The gorilla glue is only used to glue blocks of styrofoam together if you have to. It is not for structural board repairs aka the laminates. As far as the big crack in the styrofoam. I've only used the two part marine foam injected thru small holes drilled into the board with a syringe. You have to be quick and then plugged with bamboo skewers to keep it expanding into the board and the crack. I'm just not sure about the expanding stuff in a can at Home depot. Use a palm sander and 120 or 80 grit and the eva pad bits will come off with out much trouble.
I would probably just cut a wedge out of the side of the board with a jig saw and a long blade so you have a clean undamaged 90 degree foam edge to glue in a larger piece of foam and then re shape the new foam with a sander and long board. Just an idea! Mike
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie, if you have not spent a ton of time in the surf, what better board to go thru the school hard knocks? bad stuff happens to even the best of sailors if one pushes it. gotta expect some washing and thrashing, no matter who you are, right? sorry if i was too self contradicting. guess i'll go elsewhere with my thoughts?
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all, sailed the board today, is great. So, did peel all the rail EVA, and found lots of damage underneath, so was the right approach, though took lots of time. Naphtha helps to remove the glue/eva residue once carefully scraped off. Spray foam to hold replacement EPS was awful, gorilla glue was great. A little overkill and 4 layers of glass (small to large) over the spot. Photographed it to best show the slight imperfection - but really pretty good. Not happy about the paint, but there were three other spots with glass, and no paint on the rails once the EVA removed, so had to do something. Don't have a sprayer. Rolled on marine enamel, wet sanded. Ugh. But what's my choice? Can I epoxy over it?

The board itself is brilliant. Have read lots of praise for Konas, and lots of qualifiers. I should have listened more to the praise. Very early planer, stayed on plane, and easy to gybe (but does loose some speed when the tail drags in the turn). Carries a big sail on the stock 38 fin - pleasant surprise. Was more than worth the (not small) effort.

Before:

After:

LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamie:

That repair looks epic. Have you got some intermediate stage repair photos

Roland
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lucaro- I wish I had taken a few photos along the way, but was always cleaning all the gunk off my hands - glue, or epoxy, or paint. Not sure this repair is epic - fin box / mast track might be more technical - but it was major. In the before photo you just get a hint of the nose crack - EPS was split top to bottom, and under the EVA the glass was split too. I read what I could, asked for advice here, and pulled it off (I think), but experience counts for a lot. If I had it to do over, it would be better still, and would take half as long.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva would be proud of that job
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you are enjoying the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: