myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Change your O-rings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Change your O-rings Reply with quote

Thank God for corrosion. I haven't opened or changed my vent screw O-rings in years. When I opened them last week, the threads were so filled with blue corrosion that they were tough to unscrew, and NO O-ring left in one board. The corrosion was probably slowing the leaking through the plug.

Anyhow, go to a hardware store or auto parts place. Take the vent screw with you. Finding the right size O-ring wasn't easy.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check for scoring on the o-ring you remove, as an indicator of the mating surface health. I had a board where the sealing surface in the board was jagged and kept ruining the 0-rings I installed. I finally used a dremmel diamond bit to smooth things out and then all was well. Also, soap on the o-ring is a good thing to get a nice seal, and never over tighten as this can cause a leak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: