myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line choice, difficulty unhooking
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Harness line choice, difficulty unhooking Reply with quote

I have been having difficulty unhooking while sailing, and even greater difficulty unhooking if I fall off while still hooked in. I am wondering how much my line/hook combination might be contributing to the problem.

The lines are DaKine mono lines. The harness/hook is a Prolimit waist harness, maybe 2 years old.

It seems to me that the large diameter and surface friction characteristic of the plastic tubing on the mono lines, and the curvature of the hook, act together to make it quite difficult to get the lines out of the hook when they are engaged with any appreciable amount of tension. The surface friction works against sliding, and combines with the back-around curvature of the hook to favor retention much more than release.

I don't see many people using the mono lines, and wonder if they have much to recommend them, apart from being a little easier to install on some booms.

The quick release on the spreader bar has in a couple of instances been the only way that I can quickly get out of an annoying to risky situation when I fall or get thrown off. I have a seat harness without a quick release, and quit using it after a similar mishap.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mono lines and like them a lot. . I have no trouble getting in and out of mine.
I suspect that your lines are too short. You should be able to unhook while sailing with your arms totally stretched out by simply raising your hips up 3/4"
Check out Kevin Prichards site...google "harness line length Kevin Prichard". He recommends 24"-26" lines for someone 5'4" to 5'8" and more as one gets taller. At 5'7" I am using 28" mono's with a seat harness and after a bit of struggle to get adjusted, I find them perfect. My boom is around chin height.

Let the discussion commence!!!!

KMF
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like you line length, maybe you should try another brand of harness bar. I use the reactor roller bar and it works great, with no release issues.

KMF
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like an incompatibility issue between your hook shape and the diameter of your harness lines. Change either.
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the hook and the mono line add a bit to the problem. I use roller bar, which results in a much shallower hook shape. Some people think they unhook too easily with roller bar, I have learned to appreciate its other benefits.

The mono line with its "O" shape springs upward a longer distance without hook tension than the "U" shape of regular lines (if 4" or greater apart), meaning you have to move closer to boom to disengage.

Try changing one, the other, or both until you like. dhmark
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mono lines with a Dakine waist harness with a standard Dakine hook. No issues here. I'm not sure I would recommend the mono lines with a seat harness. I'm 5'8" with my boom a little above chest height and I use 28". I could also go longer to 30" but would never go shorter.

I will never go back to regular lines after using mono lines. Hook in and out with ease. I'm assuming you are on a plane and in the straps. If you are slogging and hooking in then that is always a compromise. About one time each season I get caught off guard when slogging and hooked in and get yanked. But that is the price of being lazy and being hooked in when slogging Smile
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roller bar and longer lines on order.

I'm 5'11" but long-waisted, which seems to be a difficult combination. There's only so far that it's comfortable to lower a boom.

It occurs to me that I ought to experiment with the 32" conventional lines that are on my longer boom. I usually only use that boom with a 7.3 sail (North's head clamp I like less than Chinook's) and it usually sub-planing when I have that sail up, so it's likely that I've never tried to hook in on those lines.

The tubing diameters and stiffnesses of the mono and fixed lines appear to be nearly identical.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question; Idea You are using a windsurfing hook not a kiting hook, right?
jrpla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of harness do you have, waist or seat?

I have seen this problem before at it usually causes by not having your bar tightly adjust.

Once you have your harness bar tightly adjust to your body it should be easy to move and hook or release your harness lines.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the monos make hooking and unhooking easier, by virtue of the lines' rigidity.

Borrow someone's spreader bar and see if a different hook doesn't make a difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: