myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear Reviews Anyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Waterat Pat



Joined: 10 Apr 2000
Posts: 133

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Gear Reviews Anyone? Reply with quote

I have often wondered why this forum has no designated area for gear reviews? With demos really hard to come by unless you live in the gorge or Maui it could really help the buyer identify what works and vice versa.
A simple format would be to put the gear name/description in the subject body. Tell us what you like and dislike. Include a picture if possible. At the end let us know if you had to do it over would you buy it again.
They do this on the Seabreeze forum in Oz and it is very informative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zirtaeb



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 2281

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Newbie?
Everyone knows the analysis is based on bias, inexperience, location, conditions. Always has been, always will be Cool Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmf



Joined: 02 Apr 2001
Posts: 315

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All analysis is based on bias, experience level, location, conditions, and expectations. That doesn't mean that it useless tho....



KMF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nw30



Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Posts: 1538
Location: The eye of the universe, Cen. Cal. coast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy makes the best sails.
That's my biased opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

_________________
I don't drink the 'cool' aid, I drink tequila, it's more honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keycocker



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Posts: 3206

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy makes really good mono sails. Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.
They go flat when you jibe or tack because they are soft. This reduces the pull from the sail during the turn, but are harder to adjust correctly.
They aren't good inland because they go flat in wind shadows when you actually need them to retain shape to pull through the lull.
Living in Maui....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windgood



Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 43
Location: On water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker said:

Quote:
Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.
They go flat when you jibe or tack because they are soft. This reduces the pull from the sail during the turn, but are harder to adjust correctly.
They aren't good inland because they go flat in wind shadows when you actually need them to retain shape to pull through the lull.


I totally agree. I've been sailing my Superfreaks, about 100 days a year, for five or six years now and wondering if they will eventually out last me. They have great range and easy to sail when overpowered or in gust. The down side appears to be lacking power to complete turns smoothly as water gets rough. What do you mean by "harder to adjust correctly"? Perhaps there is something I should do differently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U2U2U2



Joined: 06 Jul 2001
Posts: 3050
Location: Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania. Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps petition the forum to have a separate index for just gear reviews

Not matter who does the tests, experienced or not, brain dead or not , they are interpretive to what that or they prefer in a particular trait, what is early planing
to one is slo to another. What is loose to me on a quad is firm to someone used to a single.

so any reflections are subjective.
As a guide any reports they would be useful. But realize team riders and aficionados of the brand will have slanted remarks

_________________
K4 fins
4Boards....May the fours be with you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 13803

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
keycocker said:

Quote:
Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.
They go flat when you jibe or tack because they are soft. This reduces the pull from the sail during the turn, but are harder to adjust correctly.
They aren't good inland because they go flat in wind shadows when you actually need them to retain shape to pull through the lull.


I totally agree. I've been sailing my Superfreaks, about 100 days a year, for five or six years now and wondering if they will eventually out last me. They have great range and easy to sail when overpowered or in gust. The down side appears to be lacking power to complete turns smoothly as water gets rough. What do you mean by "harder to adjust correctly"? Perhaps there is something I should do differently.


Good God. Perfect examples of the misleading, even flat out factually wrong, info available on the internet.


Last edited by isobars on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capetonian



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 893
Location: Oahu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Cool Newbie?
Everyone knows the analysis is based on bias, inexperience, location, conditions. Always has been, always will be Cool Cool


Still better than the review vacuum I currently operate in.

Besides, hang around here long enough and you get to know people's biases anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U2U2U2



Joined: 06 Jul 2001
Posts: 3050
Location: Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania. Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
keycocker said:

Quote:
Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.
They go flat when you jibe or tack because they are soft. This reduces the pull from the sail during the turn, but are harder to adjust correctly.
They aren't good inland because they go flat in wind shadows when you actually need them to retain shape to pull through the lull.


I totally agree. I've been sailing my Superfreaks, about 100 days a year, for five or six years now and wondering if they will eventually out last me. They have great range and easy to sail when overpowered or in gust. The down side appears to be lacking power to complete turns smoothly as water gets rough. What do you mean by "harder to adjust correctly"? Perhaps there is something I should do differently.


There are some other companies that have Dacron in sails. Having most variety of Superfreaks , Classic ,UL, ME I am a huge fan. I hardly think they are Geritol oriented.

Ezzys kids rig in one version is Dacron.
http://www.ezzy.com/sails/kids-rigs/

Northwave use some as well..
http://northwavesails.com/sails/zxse_rigging.html

_________________
K4 fins
4Boards....May the fours be with you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group