myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good info here.

For 50 degree water and 60 degree air, I would want at least a 4/3 fullsuit to be comfortable.
As mentioned, you should dress for the swim (just in case) not the occasional dunk. You can alway dunk on purpose if you get too warm.
Windsurfing specific suits with more smoothskin will be warmer (less evaporative cooling/wind chill).
Windsurfing suits will also have oversize forearms so they don't cause fatigue and cramping when gripping the boom. This is especially important if you have Popeye arms from years of windsurfing.
If you have skinny arms, you may be fine with a regular surf suit cut.
Fit is also important. Some suits are cut for skinny 16 year old surfers. Others are cut for the more mature (rounder) windsurf body types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll4KGdEq5_Y
YippieYo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read info here too:

https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18344

I would say that surf suits have been fine before (I have had a 4/3 Oneill Heat in the past and a 4/3 Psycho I). But my current suit, 4/3 Oneill Psycho II is cut differently and is not great for windsurfing just due to the forearm cut. It is seriously too tight on my forearms, and this causes big time fatigue.

So I would try on a bunch of suits. I'm not convinced that smoothskin is the way to go, in my opinion. they may be a bit warmer, but I dont think the durability is there. I have not gotten cold in my non-smooth skin suits.
bluefishz1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses. I went to windward boardshop after finding out they do have some suits after getting out of the windsurfing biz and tried on an O'Neill 4/3 heat. Fit great, 10 x more flexibility than the scuba suit from 1989 I have been using. No, I am not the guy trying on and then buying online and not supporting local. Bought it on the spot. Should be a little more durable than the NP suit according to y'all. I still climb on my board often and up haul for the fun, so that should help.

Thanks again and happy sailing.
ChopEater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next suit will be WaterRepellent / ClosedCell / WaterShedding neoprene... I've had enough with wind chilling.

For a given thickness, a wet water-shed fabric feels twice as warm than a wet non-watershed fabric.

(Water Repel is stickier so a rash-guard may be necessary though)
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefishz1 wrote:
I still climb on my board often and up haul for the fun, so that should help.

A challenge for ya: get on your board the same way you get out of a swimming pool. With both hands on the side (the board), thrust them down while simultaneously performing a big frog kick. This will pop you into the air, to land on your feet on the deck. Saves a lot of neoprene and skin and is a whole lot less effort.
bluefishz1

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip. Will try waves and all.
ColdWater

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: ProMotion Reply with quote

Picked up a new cold water suit last spring. The ProMotion 5/3 Storm. So far, I'm happy. The suit keeps my cold intolerant body comfortable in water temps from at least the upper 40's*F. ProMotion has a wide range of sizes available. The std S,M,L plus XL, XXL and short version of these sizes. Customer service pre purchase was 1st rate. Liking the suit enough that the 3/4 length Charger 3/2 is on the list to replace the ancient 3/4 length O'Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: