myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Repair/Convert Bic Techno Free Formula into SUP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct-rex

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Repair/Convert Bic Techno Free Formula into SUP? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 170L Bic Techno Free Formula that has a small but noticeable crack near the fin box. (The problem, I think, has to do with the fact that these earlier boards used Trim box fins, which were too powerful for the fin box.) So one (costly) option would be to replace the fin box with a more durable fin box, like Deep Tuttle, and get new fins.

Instead, however, I'm considering leaving the fin box as is, patching the crack, and consigning the board to SUP status, which, if it works, would be great for my wife and kids. (I might also be able to use this board as a teaching board for my kids.) If this works, I have a few related questions:

- the board is 267x94. Have others used similar size boards as SUPs? (Will it work?)
- As for sealing the crack, does anyone have recommendations for what repair kit to use? (I'm not exactly sure what the board's construction is. Thermoform plastic? ABS?)
- the smallest size Trim fin I currently have is 52cm. What would be a good size fin for using the board as a SUP (and, possibly, teaching the little ones windsurfing)?

Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Repair/Convert Bic Techno Free Formula into SUP? Reply with quote

Mr. Rex,

I have zilch experience with that board, but I believe all those
BIC free formula boards are epoxy/polystyrene, with a gelcoat (epoxy
paint) coating, so repair accordingly. I doubt you'd get much SUP
glide out of that short wide shape, but if it's s family water toy, do
you really care?

-Craig

ct-rex wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 170L Bic Techno Free Formula that has a small but noticeable crack near the fin box. (The problem, I think, has to do with the fact that these earlier boards used Trim box fins, which were too powerful for the fin box.) So one (costly) option would be to replace the fin box with a more durable fin box, like Deep Tuttle, and get new fins.

Instead, however, I'm considering leaving the fin box as is, patching the crack, and consigning the board to SUP status, which, if it works, would be great for my wife and kids. (I might also be able to use this board as a teaching board for my kids.) If this works, I have a few related questions:

- the board is 267x94. Have others used similar size boards as SUPs? (Will it work?)
- As for sealing the crack, does anyone have recommendations for what repair kit to use? (I'm not exactly sure what the board's construction is. Thermoform plastic? ABS?)
- the smallest size Trim fin I currently have is 52cm. What would be a good size fin for using the board as a SUP (and, possibly, teaching the little ones windsurfing)?

Thanks!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often use my 290 x 69 Kinetic as a SUP, staying with most guys on their 11'ers.
My current 270 x 72 Slab works great as a SUP, actuallyl paddling faster than most SUP's because it weighs around 14 lbs. without footstraps.
Unless you weigh over 275, there is no reason a FF cannot be used successfully as a SUP.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe Zirt... but he's a very athletic guy and not a heavy weight.
And YOUR board is much wider, at 94cm.

So, I'd say, physics-wise... your board shape is NOT a good SUP shape. Your board is designed to be sailed in moderate winds with a powerful enough sail, to get that wide shape planning... and then it is fun and fast.

Normal (and good) standard SUP shapes for flat water are long, to provide good glide for the amount of paddling effort you put into it. And they are only as wide as needed to provide some stability... there are different widths for different skill levels, IMO Smile

Repairing your board is easy... I've done a ton of those. Just use Marine-Tex. It's a 2 part epoxy with built in filler. Read the directions for more info. but, I'm not a work shop guy who knows how to build boards. But, I have patched lots of those production boards with M-T. It is perfect - matches the white color, water-proof, super strong, easy.

Kid's board - Yes, you could use it for teaching little kids, up through elementary school age, I'd guess. more later
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny ding....
But of mine, BenBamer, at 245 lbs 3 years ago, was wondering if he could try SUP someday, maybe taking a board out from CalAdventures. I worked there then.
I told him, "take my paddle, use your Formula...L10. That's like 236 x 100 cms.
While tentative at first, he could spin 360 on the board, goof around with his paddle, and had no problem paddling around. The width IS a problem, but not for someone 6'4" tall.
Except for racing SUP, most have TONS of rocker, mostly 30" wide, and are NOT very stable compared to my 140 liter windsurf boards....for SUP use.
5'11" and 160 lbs. here.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only SUP's I see are in Seattle... and no wind Gorge days...and they're long... and wide enough for stability... and flat. People use them for exercise and covering long distances. Short wide ones would easily spin around, but that's not why most use them.
And, certainly... wave SUP's would have rocker.
And sure, just for SUP fun... almost anything would work.
Just like you can mess around and have fun on lots of different windsurfers. Depending on the person and the conditions... lots of boards old and new can be a blast Smile

Kid's board - Yes, you could use it for teaching little kids, up through elementary school age, I'd guess. more later..
Anyway, sure, use that board of yours for teaching kids. But if you really want it to work the best... I would somehow get a center fin stuck to the bottom, in the same place where a centerboard would go. A bigger and wider fin would be best (simulating a small centerboard).
And then put a small fin, back in the finbox. Lighter kids using small and light sails don't make much power in light winds. So, an average longboard fin would be great back there.
With a good, pretty big center-fin mounted. And a regular old basic fin in the finbox... that board would work fine for teaching... similar to a Go board or Start board.
Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: