myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui windsurfing holiday clinic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyelland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Maui windsurfing holiday clinic Reply with quote

Maui windsurfing
I have wanted to go to Maui since 1993 when I watched my first Robby Naish video.

I just returned from my first trip and am happy to share my experience. I opted for the Aloha clinic run by Matt Pritchard and Shawna Cropas. It runs on spreckelsville beach just 10 minutes around from the very famous Hookipa beach. The windsurfing here suits all levels from bump and jump to advanced wave riding. You launch through a small beach break (like st Kilda in 20knots) and sail a large area of bump and jump. If you want to hit the waves you tack upwind 4 times and you are in the thick of it. The beauty of this break is if you don't want to jibe in the break. You can simply sail in on a wave to a bay conveniently located between the breaking waves and the beach. Plenty of time to fall in here and then line yourself up for a broad reach straight into the breaking waves....big jumps if you are game.

I am an advanced bump and jump rider but this was my first venture into the waves. My goal was to learn the safety aspects of wave riding - eg duck diving a sail - and gain the confidence to wave sail. Matt and Shawna gave me this.

The first two days were only 12 to 15 knots with 3 foot waves. Matt and Shawna told us to rig 5.0 sails on SUP boards. At this point I was considering going for a game of golf. SUP with a sail? This is lame!

I was wrong.

The SUP rides the waves like a Malibu. Whilst I slowly tacked out to the back of the break, as soon as the wave picked me up I leaned into the bottom turn with pace to do a massive carve and find myself surfing down the line. Matt joined me on a number of waves with his gopro attached.

The accommodation was basic, clean and comfortable. The location was the best! The rooms open onto a grassed area where you rig up and do tutorials. The beach directly adjoins this area.

Matt and Shawna are two of the most patient people I have met. They both still compete on the wave sailing world stage and offer a deep understanding of technique. Vela (the booking agency) took care of everything except the flights. They booked: Equipment, car hire, accommodation and the clinic. It was hassle free. The equipment was all JP boards and Neil Pride sails. All of it was in good condition and no more than 2 years old. Someone in our clinic swapped equipment every day and Oliver at the shop was very accommodating. But just remember if you break something you have to pay for the repair. Just like it was your own kit.

Here are my top tips:
1. Do the clinic. You will not be disappointed.
2. Unless you sail 3 times a week, wear gloves. You don't spend much time in the harness when wave riding.
3. Add ten knots to the forecast at Maui. It is something to do with thermals.
4. If you can tack a beginner board, you are good enough to give this a go

I am going back in April. Even though I now know my way around, I would still hook up with Matt and Shawna again. Here are Matt and shawna's links
http://www.pritchardwindsurfing.com
http://www.shawnacropas.com/alohawindsurfingclinics/

One day we had no wind at all so we all went to the Quattro factory where we were shown how they make everything... Sails and boards. I met a guy named Francesco Goya. He was seemed to know what was going on.
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. how much did they pay u for that? just kidding. u talked me into it! very well written! sounds perfect for many different levels of sailors! and makes learning wave sailing less intimidating. i'll have to do it sometime. so can matt do anything about this stormy weather that's killing my first maui trip in 3 yrs.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: