myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to windsurf in Corolla, NC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Where to windsurf in Corolla, NC Reply with quote

I am an intermediate windsurfer from Portland, OR who plans to visit Corolla this August. I will be there for a week. I have sailed mostly in Hood River, with a little time in Corpus Christi. I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to go and rentals also. Thank you.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi crash pile,

Corolla is about a 2 hour drive from where most of the windsurfing happens- Hatteras Island. That's not to say that it's never windy up there, just that most of the scene is further south.

August also happens to be our least windy month of the year. But you never know! I would keep an eye on the forecasts and feel free to call the shop for some local input. It could be worth the trek down to Hatteras for a day, or you could always rent gear for the week, keep it up north, then return it at the end of the week.

I'm not aware of anyone who rents equipment up in corolla, unfortunately. I think Kitty Hawk Sports may have some rental equipment in Nags head, cutting your commute time in half, but I have no idea what they have...

Feel free to check out the windsurfing guide on my website for some more local info. If you can come in the first week of August you may still catch some sweet SW. Probability diminishes after that. Seems like we always get a pretty solid few days of NE at the end of August, too. Mid August is usually just awesome beach/surf weather, so if you surf you'll be stoked no matter what.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions...

http://wind-nc.com
btbill

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, as a Nags Head resident, the closest place to find rental gear south of Corolla is south of Oregon Inlet Bridge.

Additionally, there is not much/if any soundside access in Corolla. Its all marshland up there. However, ocean-side, where the road ends, there are some really nice sand bars up there with wide flat beaches for good SSW wind fetch and side off wavesailing or light air SUP wavesailing!

All in all, as Andy noted, recommend a trip to Hatteras for windsurfing and/or rental gear. Either HISS in Waves, or Wind-NC for action at Canadian Hole south of Avon.

From Corolla, a full day trip.

enjoy!

Bill
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Kitty Hawk Water Sports is still renting gear at their Nags Head location, right next to Windmill Point. http://www.kittyhawkwatersports.com/lessons/windsurfing-lesson. For soundside sailing you can launch directly from their site. Ocean launches are less than half a mile away. Call them to be sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: