myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many died last year in the US while kiting ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many frustrating days having to quit sailing while the kites keep going I researched learning to kite and what I found leaves me rethinking this option.
http://www.kitemare.com/Kitemares.htm
Seems the more common accident is being dragged into a solid object so for that reason onshore winds are to be avoided.
A helmet looks like a good idea as well.
Apparently one should get proficient with the trainer kite so you can fly the kite without looking at it, I'll bet a lot of people that end up injured never get that good before they go straight on the water with a big kite.
Where I live it's lot's of shallow water and sideshore winds that are often marginal for windsurfing but perfect for kiting so we will see if I get frustrated enough to give it a go.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in terms of windsurfing ...

i have heard and read - heart attack on the water, leak in a drysuit, banged on the head due to obstacles floating in the water and getting separated from the board ALL causes of death on the water for windsurfers

people do injure and break things too - we are after all going at high speeds

we all need to learn to be careful and ready for the inevitable - regardless of which sport we are into

learn your limits and be safe on the water - one and all
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy
That's exactly why I started kiting. I got sick of slogging in 15mph and watching the kiters having a blast. Also the kite scene here in Mass is rocking. I have read all the kitemare stuff and swore I would never kite. It's only dangerous in high winds or if you do stupid things that a smart kiter should avoid. Onshore winds are fine as long as you have a good distance between you and any hard objects . We have a lot of shallow beaches here in Mass were you can walk out a couple of hundred feet to start kiting and then sail back and forth along the beach in waist deep water, lots of fun!
Find the best teacher in your area, buy a new user friendly, mellow kite, practice using your safety systems, and start ripping it up in light wind. You will love it.
Do you know how many people die a year riding bikes, skiing, snowboarding, boating, diving into pools, riding motorcycles, etc?
Once you learn to kite 90 percent of your fear will go away, and the remaining ten percent of fear will always be there to remind you to kite smart and be safe.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll offer another perspective or clarification.
Only because friends of mine know that I've been windsurfing over 30 years, they'll sometimes ask me about kiting, which makes sense as it's another fun looking way, to get out on the water and play in the wind.
I haven't done it, so my knowledge is limited to talking to many kiters, a little reading, and some watching.

But for clarification, you can't kite in less wind than you can windsurf in!!!
I go out all the time, when kiters are sitting on the beach, waiting. But where I live there's mostly light winds, lots of 2 - 15 mph stuff, 5 to 10 most the time. Great for a longboard, sailing all over the place.
How much wind does the avg. rec. kiter need with avg gear to plane back and forth? Probably about 12-15 mph winds and they have to be steady, no drops or lulls down to 8, or you're swimming. I'm an avg windsurfer and besides a longboard I bought an old used formula. I can go out on that, or my raceboard (longboard) and plane in 12 - 15mph winds. Many times the kiters won't join me, cause they're worried (rightly so) that if it drops to 8, they're sunk. But for me... I just sail slower.
I've also had 12 - 20 mph days where me and the kites are planning BAF, all good. And when it's closer to 20, THEY DO get some sweet jumps !!
But when it's a solid 15, we just race BAF... very fun. I know they're always worried about lulls though... and me, I don't even think about it.

Next, there's no question it's more dangerous than windsurfing. You can't talk about heart attacks while w'surfing... as those people would've had the same thing while kiting or walking their dog or reading a book.
But let's talk trauma. Yes, there have been a few fatalities to windsurfers out in Nukin' winds that have been knocked out and then drown. But the numbers of that, compared to how many W'surfers there have been since the 70's is very small. And next, there have been some injuries. I broke my L ankle badly, landing a jump poorly, 9 fractures, 3 hours surgery, 13 screws, 1 plate, 5 months on crutches. And this does happen sometimes, but it's very rare considering the # of sailors again, over time.
But the # of fatalities to kiters AND traumatic injuries is huge, especially considering how young a sport it is.
HOWEVER, I totally agree with mat-ty's points about being smart, getting good training, practicing a lot, only go in the right conditions, etc. And then, you're going to be fine.
But the comment about how many people die in other activities, isn't relative here either. Yes, it might be true. But we're not comparing kiting to skiing or motorcycles. We're comparing it to windsurfing.
Windsurfing can be enjoyed by many people in winds from 2 to 40 mph. And it is a rare sport, that gives a feeling of flying, using your body to control your path and direction, can be an adrenaline rush... And yet, with all that... is way safer than almost all the rest.

Anyway, not really sure why we're talking about this sad subject. Except like the original poster said... we do get asked about it... so having a few intelligent things to say it fine.
Anyway, we all have to be smart out there... pay attention... and not push your comfort zone in unsafe situations. Where you should, or can push your comfort zone is when there's others watching you... a safe environment... with coaches around, etc.

BTW - The coolest 2 things to me about kiting is the awesome jumps they can do in 17-20 mph winds. And that you can put all of it, in the trunk of your Camry Smile
I'm sure there's more... but for where I live, those are the best advantages see.
Greg -
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danews crashes my safari every time i go there, howcome?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44
That must have been a hell of a jump, sorry to hear about that. You are right about the light wind thing . My magic number so far seems to be around 12mph were I can get up and go and stay up wind. Thats with a 15m light wind kite and a big twin tip board. The nice thing is once my kite is up it does not feel all that big, it moves like a 12m and is fully powered at 15mph, and it all fits in the back of my suv under the lacrosse sticks and baseball gloves. Throw 2 kites and a board in the car and sneak out for a little afternoon sesh. I always tell my employees if anyone calls I am at a BOARD MEETING.
I love windsurfing and will never quit. They are both fantastic sports.

Last edited by mat-ty on Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf

Are you using a computer or iPad

Try this: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/29/fix-safari-crashing-on-ipad-and-ios-5/

I'm pretty sure your problem is not caused by Facebook. As you probably know, FB is hugely popular and not being able to interact with it is a major dilemma for any software company, including Apple.

Try describing your problem including your software and hardware on Goggle and see what comes up as a solution.

BTW, do you regularly visit Facebook?
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laptop. my only facebook interaction appears to be "wall pictures" from windnc which works fine.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul

I did a google search for laptop - safari - trouble seeing facebook and there were many hits...

There is no other news service focused on bringing North American Windsurfing news to one convenient place. Facebook does a unique job of "scraping" info about a link, requiring almost no editing to publish. They let you know what's there before you click and go. Facebook is free and allows me to focus my time scouring the internet for news.

Like i said before, DaNews is not about me. I make no money doing it. I think the sport desrves the coverage. I'm just an internet reporter covering windsurfing culture mostly here in the Western Hemisphere.

DaNews is always worth a look because it's not about me, it's about what everyone else is doing in the sport.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my partner was dragged ashore we didn't report it to anyone in the Coats Guard or media.
We buried him in his wetsuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: