myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many died last year in the US while kiting ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe , my french is a little rusty , and i could not find anything on Google.
Can you tell us what happened?

thanks
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who tried to rescue the poor fellow saw the kite doing loops. They went for him as fast as they could and found him underwater. They, and the emergency responders never managed to bring him back to life. The chicken loop was not released. A coroner will investigate the cause of death.

The wind was around 30 knots, and it was probably side-off at the spot.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he got tangled in the lines and drowned. Just like the guy at ocean beach in SF in 2010.
Gee it would really suck if I was windsurfing and got tangled in a kiters lines and drowned.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/8804-death-loop-kills-kitesurfer-in-quebec
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
i warned a fellow windsurfer that today was to be even "worse"

I used to do that, but most people don't want to hear it, especially after driving 70-150 miles to sail. After too many of them got angry when I regurgitated forecasts of extreme gustiness, I gave up. It's cost only one WSer's life that I know of recently, but the list of dislocations and fractures grows with almost every such nasty powerful frontal day here. 5-50 mph winds suck, but all many people see is the average 27.5 mph and think it'll be great fun. It might be, in short lucky spurts, but overall it's hazardous to most sailors' health.

That said, we had a recent three-day blast of strong, gusty crap recently, each forecast to be worse than the previous day. Many expert locals drove, tried it briefly, and packed up and left, only to hear later that the third day, forecast to be absolutely awful, was merely bad ... easily the best of the three days.

Ya never knows, so now I read forecasts only to people who inquire. Ditto when I see folks rigging 4.0s for 6.5 wind; they don't wanna hear it, so they slog their sinkers for a couple of miles before swimming ashore. Some of them ultimately learn, but some never do.

Of course, the best ones just make the best of it, grabbing controlled reaches between the Slides For Life and the bottomless lulls. They progress rapidly, but sometimes at a price many of us are not willing to pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: