myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B737

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin' Reply with quote

as if windsurfing NJ didnt already have its own set of obstacles, Hurricane Sandy has made things way worse for us. this was only my second time in the water for the season and i hit a submerged object in about waist deep water at full speed that took my 41cm straight fin clean off. what ever it was, it was big, and it didnt budge an inch when i went flying over it. thank god my fin box did not crack open and the board was intact. i was able to self rescue and walk a mile and a half to my truck and get a new fin to my board.

there are many objects out there. other sailors are hitting them too. i dont want to be in a more precarious position and have this happen again.

what id like to do is carry a 20cm fin and thumb screw as a back up this season. i suspect there is a strong chance of this happening again.

do you guys have any recommendations to do this? i do not sail with a backpack so that is out. attaching it to the board deck is out.

i was thinking of lashing it to the boom near the clew, the mast at the luff cut out, or affixing it to the back of my life vest. i feel like each of these situations could present its own set of dangers. i dont want to make matters worse or rip a sail during one of my wipe outs because of carrying it.

im open to hear your ideas...

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm

Last edited by B737 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on how to carry an 'back / emergency up fin' Reply with quote

Well, one of my harnesses has a velcro pocket in the back. It's not big
enough for a 20 cm fin, but with mods it could be, and I've thought about
it a few times, but I can sail back without a fin, so that's as far as it's gotten.

The real question is where are you going to carry that pointy screwdriver.

-Craig

B737 wrote:
as if windsurfing NJ didnt already have its own set of obstacles, Hurricane Sandy has made thing way worse for us. this was only my second time in the water for the season and i hit a submerged object in about waist deep water at full speed that took my 41cm straight fin clean off. what ever it was, it was big, and it didnt budge an inch when i went flying over it. thank god my fin box did not crack open and the board was intact. i was able to self rescue and walk a mile and a half to my truck and get a new fin to my board.

there are many objects out there. other sailors are hitting them too. i dont want to be in a more precarious position and have this happen again.

what id like to do is carry a 20cm fin and thumb screw as a back up this season. i suspect there is a strong chance of this happening again.

do you guys have any recommendations to do this? i do not sail with a backpack so that is out. attaching it to the board deck is out.

i was thinking of lashing it to the boom near the clew, the mast at the luff cut out, or affixing it to the back of my life vest. i feel like each of these situations could present its own set of dangers. i dont want to make matters worse or rip a sail during one of my wipe outs because of carrying it.

im open to hear your ideas...
B737

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was able to sideways plow to shore, but in other wind directions that wouldnt work...

my fanatic boards use a thumb attachment on the fin screw so theres no need to carry a screw driver. i was going to carry a spare thumb screw and fin. my seat harness doesnt have any compartments. the only thing i can come up with is

- lashed to the mast above the boom vertically
- mod my vest to carry it in the back (but if i fall back first onto something like the sail?)
- strap it to my calf

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place to carry something that flat and light probably is under the nose. Depending on the board, it may not cause any meaningful drag. The other thing that can be done is to remove your harness and strap it under the board's tail, hook down. It won't get you upwind fast, but it might just get you home without much of a walk.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" The other thing that can be done is to remove your harness and strap it under the board's tail, hook down. It won't get you upwind fast, but it might just get you home without much of a walk."

Yes, I had to do this a LONG time ago in the Gorge. I learned it from one of the tip articles in the Windsurfing Mag. And many instructors teach their students this emergency trick (I do).
You strap your harness through the back footstrap, hook down. It makes enough drag, that you can almost water start and slog back. It worked for me. Without "that drag" or lateral resistance... the whole kit just slides sideways. At least, that's what was happening to me, hi-winds, on a sinker.
Greg -
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry a very small A-box fin with the pivot pin moved to the front so it wouldn't need a screw. If you have a cavity box, NEVER MIND.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin' Reply with quote

B737 wrote:

Common problem in NC/VA. Everybody's got a story like that there so what happens is that the word goes out until somebody on a calm weekend took a boat out and mark the known obstacles.
B737

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on how to carry an 'backup / emergency up fin' Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:

Common problem in NC/VA. Everybody's got a story like that there so what happens is that the word goes out until somebody on a calm weekend took a boat out and mark the known obstacles.

were going to have to do something as a community here. no one has a power boat thats able to get into the shallow waters we sail. other parts are a little deeper but tricky to get to even with a small outboard. i was thinking of bringing some string and corks with me in my lift vest pockets to mark locations or objects then maybe try and sail out more suitable 'markers / bouys' at the end of the day or later during the week. maybe after a few weeks we'd have a good idea visually where all the stuff is if we can mark it.

the object i hit was so small, solid and tall; i back tracked only the 20 or so feet after i spun out, to try and find it, and i couldnt. our water is very murky you cant see the bottom, even in waist deep water where i struck it.

my new thumb screws and fins are on the way to me thanks to North Beach Windsurfing. id be lost without Britt, or in the case spinning out...

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go out on a SUP with a long fin or stick attached and try and run into things and prod around with the paddle then mark them with your string and cork idea perhaps using a mask and snorkel.
Someone here made a buoy out of PVC pipe to mark the keyhole in the reef we have to fit thu.
If you go out on a sunny day with zero wind and no waves it might be easier to see the objects.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious beaglebuddy, were you talking about going through the reef at Anini Beach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: