myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui flat in the summer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Maui flat in the summer? Reply with quote

What is the consensus on wind during summers on Maui? Is there or is it flat?
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vela year around wind averages:
http://www.velawindsurf.com/html/pages/destinations/maui/wind-reports.php

Windy in the summer but the only waves are wind swell.
victor

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windalert.com/spot/432

according to this june is historically a little light but july and august it's windy every day.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wind swells can be over head high for days on end.
At other sites wind swell is always onshore but Kanaha is often side on.It breaks at the reef instead of the beach too.
I sail on a 3.7 or 4.2 on 25 days a month often in summer.
Last summer Beecher sailed 120 days in a row under 5.0
You rig under the shade of trees on grass with toilets and showers at the site in several of the launches.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer it blew pretty much every day which means there is usually a wind swell and is fun. Many times the wind swell can be over head high if you know where to go. I used to be a summer Gorge sailor but since moving to Maui, I've discovered that I love the ocean so much better any time of year on Maui, including summers. The ocean is clean, clear, warm and just a more better spot.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do so many Maui WSers spend their summers in the Gorge? I'd say both have their advantages, and the depends on individual priorities.

MAN, but I wish the Gorge blew as often as Maui in the summer, but JEEZ I hate the heat and humidity in Maui. DANG, but I wish the wind lasted longer on Maui; I LUV those all-day blasts the Gorge sometimes gets. BOY do I hate having to wear neoprene in the Gorge >11 months out of the year for those who do winters), but it sure is sad to see the short wind season on Maui.

Etc.
nodak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
So why do so many Maui WSers spend their summers in the Gorge? I'd say both have their advantages, and the depends on individual priorities.

MAN, but I wish the Gorge blew as often as Maui in the summer, but JEEZ I hate the heat and humidity in Maui. DANG, but I wish the wind lasted longer on Maui; I LUV those all-day blasts the Gorge sometimes gets. BOY do I hate having to wear neoprene in the Gorge >11 months out of the year for those who do winters), but it sure is sad to see the short wind season on Maui.

Etc.

Sir, you strike me as a message board nazi and a thread pirate.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither accusation makes any sense to me.
My post is directly on this thread's topic (especially since many of those sailors I mentioned, and I, prefer Gorge swell to Maui windswell), and of the long lists of Nazi characteristics I just Googled, only one fits me: "Anti-communism & anti-liberalism". I've stood fast against communism for > 50 years -- I helped fight a global war against it -- and I was taught by liberals right here to hate many or most demonstrated characteristics of liberalism and the behaviors of the liberals here and in the news.

Sounds like you're paying too much attention to the liberals here who so obviously wage their war against conservatives at a very personal level. Just because the guys and gal you're paying attention to say my mudder wears combat boots doesn't make it so; rather, it just exposes their objectivity and credibility. I suggest you judge for yourself, and better yet, inform me and explain why any time you think I resemble either remark. Otherwise you look like them, and that's not a good look on a decent person.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIIIISSSSSSOOOOOO??? Really?

Maui is beautiful year round. In the summer you will be on small gear. You can have fresh fish caught in the morning for your dinner. Early morning swim and snorkle, and SUP. If it's windy (90%), it's usually cool in the evening. Quite often rain showers while you sleep, and birds in the morning sun. Beautiful girls wander Paia, and you can pick mangos and papaya's for breakfast. Did I mention the occaisional N swell mixed with the east windswell? I used to go the Sprecklesville and do 20' jumps in the summer. Now it's 2-3 foot hops and on to Mama's Fish House with my Bride.

The Gorge is wonderful, however not close to Maui..IMO
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic was windswell. That's why I didn't dwell on the other facets beyond illustrative examples of the personal tradeoffs involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: