myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1st and 2nd Amendments under attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Instead, all we get from the religious right is a bunch of righteous guys that could give a crap.

I'm confused. Is "giving a crap" a bad thing or a good thing?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're confused!! Image poor old Gurgletrousers absorbing the news that he is now part of the "religious right".
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
swchandler wrote:
Instead, all we get from the religious right is a bunch of righteous guys that could give a crap.

I'm confused. Is "giving a crap" a bad thing or a good thing?

Actually, to say "He could give a crap" is approximately the same as saying "He could care less."

The implication is intended to be that he absolutely does not care one tiny bit. Yet the phrase says the opposite, for to say "could care less" implies that he has a certain level of caring, but it it's possible that level of caring could decline even more.

So, to say "could care less" really means that he cares, which is opposite to the intention of the phrase.

The correct phrase should be, "He couldn't care less," which means his level of caring is at the absolute lowest level. He does not care.

Likewise, "He could give a crap" means that he has something to give, albeit something of very low value (unless one of these guys wants fertilizer).

A more appropriate phrase would be "He couldn't give a crap," meaning that he cares so little that he wouldn't even expend the energy to generate human fertilizer. That, of course, means he's still full of it.

But this all flies in the face of the rabid righties, who excel at flinging feces -- in their case, "giving a crap" might have a second meaning. They save it up in order to fling it. And this means that they're full of it most of the time, because they always have some to give. Creating and slinging shit is their specialty.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now THAT is funny!!!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mr. G, I'm fine with it. (Except for the 'old' slur.)

If I was a child born into todays society, I'd far rather be raised by a mother of Faith, Hope, and Charity, than one who rejects marriage, and practises abortion when it suits her purposes. (Over here we are free to express such views without being screeched at by alley cats!

By the way, from what I read, hear, and understand, women are just as split on the abortion issue as are men. Indeed, the most outspoken pro-lifers ARE women.

But of course, some of us dinosaurs from our 'backward' generation are quite unable to grasp todays reality!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"By the way, from what I read, hear, and understand, women are just as split on the abortion issue as are men. Indeed, the most outspoken pro-lifers ARE women."

Actually G.T., you are right. Women are split on the issue of abortion. However, if you think about it, the percentage of women most adamantly against abortion are deeply in thrall to religion. Take away the yoke of religion, the picture changes. Now, if you consider the issue of contraception, even religious women move into the realm of supporting a woman's right to control their reproductive destiny.

Needless to say though, the majority of religious leaders (men) are fighting the modern world and the freedom it offers women.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't have a high regard for the intelligence of women do you?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprisingly mrgybe, you miss the picture.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN THRALL: Definition:

- a servant slave

- a state of servitude or submission

- a person in moral or mental servitude

Poor, weak-minded victims incapable of making their own rational decisions......is that what you meant?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it now. You cherry-picked a word I used and created your own end from it.

You still don't get the picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: