myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips on not to get going

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raffar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Tips on not to get going Reply with quote

Hi all,

Racing season starting here soon.
Last year I messed up a couple of races when after working my way into a nice spot, I crossed the start line when got hit by a moderate gust and by the time I got back behind the line everybody was off. Ever since I have been trying to stay back for it not to happen again.
Looking for tips on statyin' put on start line until the third whistle blows.

Thanks

raf.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a longboard it's not a good idea to sit at the line and wait until the start to get going any more than it is with a slalom board. Sometimes you do want to defend a certain spot in light air, so here's one way to do it.

Stand forward of the normal upwind position and tip the mast forward and to windward while opening the boom (unshed). You can more or less stay in a stationary position in lighter winds doing this (takes some practice) but it allows you to quickly bear off to get ahead then under someone wanting to occupy that precious space to leeward you want to use to accelerate without being forced over early.

if you are on a slalom or FW then timing is everything. Practice your speed/time/distance until you can nail it cold. One way to put this into practice is a traditional timed turn method. Sail at full speed away from the point on the line where you want to start. Sail like this for 30 seconds, then turn around and sail back. Your time should be over one minute. The difference is the time in transition, so now you can not rely on the start boat signals but on your own watch. For example, when your watch says 1:20 you know its time to be one line where you think you want to start, then get moving for 30 seconds and then tack or jibe and sail right back. You should hit the line at full speed, but you can always slow down if you are early.

adywind

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what the guru says about that :
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/Slalom-%20starts.pdf
raffar

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss,

I race on formula but we generally run mix class races and usually the long board guys tend to group on the line with their long "logs" blocking any line on the upwind side of the start.
On windy days I'll follow your suggestion of timing my start from the back and come full speed over the line and get them from down up eventually.
On slow days, I don't stand a chance if I don't mingle around the front of the pack, where that skill of staying put will come real handy.

I have to say that our races are very civilized and friendly for the most part.

Thanks for the good tips.

RAF
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffar, a timed turn start really turns into a reference starting strategy that can be and often should be modified by tactics for each start. On FW, you agree that you have little or no chance unless planing, so that is the assumption underlying any start choices.

Assuming you can plane, it almost always pays to dip the longboards so you get clear air and can be free to sail to the left and tack to clear. Or, just port tack when you can if you must go to the right early. Longboards will pinch you up in about 20 feet from the line, so most doors close soon.

If working to the right early is best and the line short, you can always dip the first row and head right in clear air as most will start sailing to the left anyway.

spennie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen experienced racers turn their board sideways to come to a near-stop just short of the line, then a quick footspin and off you go. Note that I haven't actually done this myself, just seen it work. Prolly take some practice.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're racing a Formula board, you absolutely NEED to hit the line planing. If you try to creep up to the line and then get on plane after the gun, you will get slaughtered. The Formula guys that hit the line on plane will blow past you and the long boards above you will block your breeze while the long boards below you will be pinching you up and not allow you to bear off to get on plane. Again, hit the line on plane as close to full speed as possible. Even if you're a few seconds late of the gun, it will be much better than trying to get on plane on the line.

If you're doing a mixed fleet start (i.e., longboards and formula) then the long boards will likely creep up to the line as the start approaches much like a dinghy start. Don't be tempted to follow them. Hang back a little and and look for a hole to dive into at full speed. You may need to bear off a little, but you will fly past the longboards and then be able to turn up to a close hauled course. The biggest thing is don't be tempted to start the same way the longboards are starting. You need to hit the line with speed and just plane past them.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: