myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
bear encounter stories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: bear encounter stories Reply with quote

So I am 12 years old (1974) with my cousin who is 12, my Mom and my Dad. I had never been on a plane before. We are traveling to canoe the Spanish River in Ontario for 7 days. The Spanish flows into Lake Huron. It’s headwaters are a moose pond. No towns, no roads, no humans, nada for 7 days. Our mode of transport is a Cessna with a canoe strapped to it’s pontoon. 2 trips, 2 canoes, 4 people. As the plane is following the river upstream, I look down only to see forests and rapids. I puke. Plane lands. Not so sure about this. The first trickle, I ask my Dad what class rapid that is? He says 1. I think Hmmm?

My first bear encounter was on that trip. We wanted to camp on a small island in the middle of the river. As we approached, a black bear on the island starts to moan. As we get closer he stands on two feet and roars. He jumps in the water to get off the island. Dad, starts paddling like a maniac to chase the bear to the other shore. I am in the bow, traveling at the same speed as a big nasty black bear who is on my left at about 8 ft. Bear is swimming full force to get to the shore and away from us, snorting. Dad is paddling full force to keep up with the bear, who is scared to death, I am thinking hmmm? As we get a few feet away the bear stops swimming and is just kind of looking at us scared to death. Probably wondering what death feels like from a 17 foot aluminum creature with two heads and paddles. Dad lets him go, the bear swims to shore, stands on two feet, and freaking roars at us for 15 seconds angry as hell, before running off into the woods. Hmmm?

Only real danger was graveyard rapids (portage). Others can be lined. Even at 12.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how wild animals especially dangerous ones should be treated, the trouble starts when the treehuggers try to make friends with them, then the wild animals become habituated to humans and lose their fear, next thing they are raiding your cabin and have to be shot. Idea
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story! Thanks for sharing. I've had similar experience, but with a pissed off moose guarding its young- chasing us. Paddled like hell while my friend's idiot uncle tried to video tape it all. We got home and not one bit of his videos were watchable. My friend and I got to lug his heavy old VCR recorder and gear all week. We were crying laughing at his horrible unwatchable videos when we got home.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked out my door last summer mid-morning to find a bear ambling up the street. My dogs took off after it and scared it up a trail behind my neighbor's house. The dogs returned to me quite proud of themselves. Meanwhile, the bear ran into a hiker, turned back around, and started running down the alley across the street in my direction.

The dogs took exception to this and attacked the bear in front of my house. One on its back and one ahold of a leg. Me screaming at them to stop. The bear finally shook them off and ran into town.

I called a deputy who showed up, rifle in hand, and completely terrified. She asked me to help her find it. After about ten minutes of her hiding behind me...she had the gun...I decided she was on her own. Bear got away!
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many moons ago, my brother and I were paddling a canoe across a private lake about 15 mi. outside of Jackson Hole, Wy., we were both in our teens at the time. We came upon a male moose that was swimming across the lake, so we decided to follow him. He gets to the far side of the lake, and we were right behind him, he walks off into the woods, and we get out and follow him by foot. After about 200 yards he stops and looks around at us, snorts and shakes his head, which had a pretty impressive rack on it.
We freeze, and then he charges, SHIT! I yell to my brother "split up!", he goes one way, and I go the other. The moose charges all the way to where we split up and then stops, I'm hiding behind some brush at one end, and my bro is hiding behind some brush at the other end of our split. Nobody is moving, after a bit (seemed like a long time, but it was probably only about 30 seconds) he turned around and went back into the woods.
They seem small when swimming, but out on the land, they are some pretty big animals, we felt very lucky getting out of there undamaged.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Yellowstone. That great moose story by NW was typical for us.

We attend a party in Colo every year and camp up high.
One night some dick was honking the horn on a car for an hour ,waking us up.
It was a baby bear eating a twenty pound bag of chocolate bars on a car console ,honking the horn with his ass.
We went to the Ranger to ask him to move him but he said all the traps were in use. If we saw a bear in camp he would have to come shoot it .
Are you reporting a bear? He asked.
We looked at each other. Nope, none of us had seen any bears.
Didn't think so, he said.
We cut a paper plate stencil that said NO BEARS and painted on to trees, old trucks, our clothes, ....
It worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: