myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Car time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original poser: you really don't supply enough info to offer a credible suggestion on a vehicle.

What distance do you travel, how many boards, sails.. people.. how ofter,
do you want gear on the roof ETC

Do you want a new or used vehicle?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mrchocky

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
the original poser: you really don't supply enough info to offer a credible suggestion on a vehicle.

True; it was a query for comments only. :p

Quote:

What distance do you travel, how many boards, sails.. people.. how ofter,
do you want gear on the roof ETC

Do you want a new or used vehicle?

I did actually mention that roof is not desirable in general, but required sometimes. I want to get used; the Mazda is nice, but way out of my price range. Trailers are excessive to my needs - usually only one or two boards, and not practical in my apartment. In fact, the garage opening is very low being on a slope - sufficiently low that any board on the roof on my focus has to have its fin removed, or it will hit the door, so some van options are out too.

But usually only gear for one person, and usually only a few miles for windsurfing. Still, it's a general purpose car, and will be the only one shared by 2 people.

The V70 is appealing because there are a large number of available used, (and the space inside) although most of those appear to have significant mileage.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe Reply with quote

loonie2 wrote:
Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe... Get one!

I actually looked at the Matrix when I was deciding on a new car a few years ago. My assessment... the Honda Element has a TON more space inside. Matrix felt cramped to me. Yes, you could probably get two or three boards and gear inside, but it would be a squeeze. The Element easily fits this much gear with room to spare. We use our E all the time for car camping, hauling loads of yard refuse to the dump, and of course windsurfing. It is a very versatile vehicle.

Sorry, not trying to diss on your ride. If it works for your needs, great. Just thought I would pass along my experience since the Matrix was one of the cars I had considered.

sm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volvos have become in vogue in the past few years, they seem to present a decent value for $ spent, but based on my neighbors cars are expensive to maintain VS some others. Buying used presents a issue of what care has been taken in regards to preventative maintenance.

VW Jetta wagon any number of Honda, Nisson models would offer a better value.

Subaru Suzuki small wagon or small suv would be in my short list as well.

fitek

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Volvo S80 for a year which fit my windsurfing gear fairly well.

However, there was something constantly broken. And it only had 100k miles.

I know the previous owner went through hell with it too. The car was just too fancy, they tried to one up every single design in the car, some things worked out, others didn't. When the car alarm started going off while I was driving I gave up and put it on Craigslist and bought a 2 year old Sprinter van. It ended up costing about a little more than a minivan.

I wasn't considering such a big vehicle but once I test drove the Sprinter I realized this was going to be very, VERY awesome. They keep their value, so I'll get the majority of my money back when I sell it. The gas mileage is comparable to my pickup and CR-V.

IMO, having owned plenty of vehicles, foreign and domestic, newer and older, stick to the Japanese cars, but at least seek out the less fancy models of any make. My bare bones Toyota pickup was my main car for 7 years (carries windsurfing gear just fine if you get a bed cover) and it's value on craigslist has dropped a thousand bucks in that time. And I only spent $30 on repairs so far. I dropped $300 in the first week on the Volvo.

Additionally, I have a number of Dodge Caravan horror stories. The last was from a '02 or '03 but the problem has been the same for years, they just eat transmissions. Had a buddy with a 90s one that went through 8 transmissions in 200k miles.

One other though: I bought a Honda CR-V for the wife and it's been the best car we've ever had. A friend has the Audi Tiguan which is much fancier but has already been serviced a number of times and it hasn't even got 10k on it. Another friend with the Mazda cross over is somewhat satisfied with it, its fancy but mileage sucks. And one vote for the Chevy cross over from another friend.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiguan is a VW.

The Chrysler vans from 2003 onwards are much better. On my 2nd one and they rate excellent, from Denver to Hatteras 25.25MPG at radar detector speed , 6 boards all inside.

The early Honda and Toyota vans had all manner of problems, trannys motor mounts.

thinking about the original posters requirements I would look really hard at Subaru wagons or the Forester

isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only vehicle comment I can think of that hasn't been in the other 328 vehicle threads is that a dealer, and with some makes a locksmith, can make a basic, non-electronic (thus waterproof) spare key that simply unlocks the doors. I'd also add a kill switch in case someone finds your real keys.

I will repeat my test drive experience in the late model, Volvo-certified preowned, high end Volvo wagon. One short test drive found 8-10 important non-working items, including wipers, heater, and radio. The dealer laughed it off with, "That's part of the Volvo mystique". That -- plus most mechanics, owners, and reliability rankings -- are why I don't do Volvos, any German cars, or Chrysler products.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want a van? Why not? Worried about your image?

A Honda Odyssey will fit all your gear, or all your family, is unbelievably reliable, and will SMOKE 80% of the cars out there. Don't believe me? Go drive one, then get over yourself and get the van. Did I mention you can sleep inside?

I have a giant Ford E-250, which is awesome and has the power to pull my 24-foot travel trailer while all my gear, luggage, food, 2 mountain bikes all fits inside. It also gets about 13-14 mpg, so if you're not pulling a big trailer it's not worth it.

windward1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Chrysler Grand Caravan Reply with quote

I have 0ver 200,000 miles on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and it is all on the original engine and original transmission.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
You don't want a van? Why not? Worried about your image?

Yes! Actually, the garage door really is that low. So a minivan with a board on top would probably fit (I appreciate the board would probably fit inside in almost all cases), but it's going to be really close, and any van like the Sprinter is definitely out.

I really don't need the volumes of space, just the length, and so the Matrix is possibly a good choice.

I actually own - or rather the ex has - a Ford Freestyle (crossover). But although it drives great and has loads of space (I once put a couch in the back), it's like a big car, and just too much, and the mileage sucks.

The Outback is a good choice too, but it's not clear to me that it offers anything over the Volvo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: