myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging the boom end in 3 seconds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1111

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here yah go
http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/media/TCtailpiece.html
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an answer to a question never asked.

Tie a half hitch or figure 8 at the dead end. Pass through grommet, then tie a half hitch. Cinch it tight so the knot at the end acts as a stopper, preventing the line from slipping through the half itch. It will tighten even more when wet and will not become undone unless using brand new line with very low outhaul. No hardware, 3 seconds.

4kus

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked uooh, well I guess I was waiting on this one with baited breath....why is this better than my single spectra line pass thru the grommet to the cleat? try 1 second Exclamation ....then I can splurge on the other two secs by tying a figure 8 as a stopper in case the cleat lets go.... Rolling Eyes

as for the swivel 'n shackle, why would we add a few grams of swingweight to the end of the boom after spending hundreds to reduce weight Question plus your line is now not centered on the clew with a single lead....just sayin'
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Just woken up Reply with quote

Hi Girls !

It is nice to read all these comments as I am just waking up. This is the middle-east. There is a time lag. Also, we don't have the loop and go system here.

After watching the video on the loop and go, I confirm my rigging is faster. The shackle stay permanently attached to the sail steel hole. So I just need to pull the rope through the cleat and I am done with rigging the boom end.

Everything was bought from the local hardware stuff. I am trying to have everything carbon-made to reduce weight.

I did not try tying the rope directly to the clew. I am not confortable doing knots. I am afraid it will slip. However, I did a knot to prevent the rope from slipping back trough the cleat but it does not show on the pic.

And please upload pictures. Not only is English a second language to me, but technical /maritime words are even harder to understand. Pictures will also be more fun for everyone to watch.

What is nice with windsurfing is that it allows me to explore my creative side.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the ME? I've spent a fair amount of time at different spots in the region. Though only for work.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Do not try this at home ! Reply with quote

It has been working fine for a year (no loop, straightline from the sail hole through the boom end, rigging in 3 seconds), and now the boom end is worn out.

Cleat.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.5 KB
 Viewed:  12896 Time(s)

Cleat.JPG

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Just woken up Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:
After watching the video on the loop and go, I confirm my rigging is faster.

I don't think it is. Even if it is, it would be a matter of only a few seconds. The benefit of those seconds is far outweighed in my opinion by the addition of clew weight, which is the last thing I want.

yvanboniec wrote:
What is nice with windsurfing is that it allows me to explore my creative side.

I love messing around with these ideas too! Keep at it.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boom end/cleat anchor very likely wore out (failed!) because you're running the line through the sail grommet only once. Each pass through the grommet reduces line tension dramatically; just the second pass alone cuts the pull on that cleat by about 50%. The cleat anchor wasn't designed to carry a single-pass load.

Mike \m/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always applaud creativity, but agree with iso on this one. The cleat probably failed because of the single clew line.

1:1 (like OP has) - full tension
2:1 (two loops) - each section carries 1/2 the total tension.
4:1 (4 loops - what most people use) - each section of line has 1/4 the total tension so cleat only has 1/4 the total force of it of OP's system, also one only has to pull with 1/4 the force of OP's system when pulling outhaul.

it's just basic high school physics, humans have known about this since the Greeks, at least.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That boom end/cleat anchor very likely wore out (failed!) because you're running the line through the sail grommet only once. Each pass through the grommet reduces line tension dramatically; just the second pass alone cuts the pull on that cleat by about 50%. The cleat anchor wasn't designed to carry a single-pass load.

Mike \m/

As well, he has a 1:1 purchase - makes outhauling much harder with no mechanical advantage. Maybe not a big deal if you're strong, but if it slips out on the water it will be hard to deal with.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: