myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging the boom end in 3 seconds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just do it the easy way?

Bard,
My new Chinook Pro1 alloys wont do this like my older chinook triple clamps and Aerons.
Bummer
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

I put some tape because I wanted to cover the screw which was protuding (it could cut my hand/finger).

It was purely protective. You will probabbly need a protection if you jibe (but I do not).

I will use plastic tube to protect the line.

The loop and go boom is not available here. I want to order it, but the shipping costs to the middle east were close to $300 dollars.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Why don't you just do it the easy way?

Bard,
My new Chinook Pro1 alloys wont do this like my older chinook triple clamps and Aerons.
Bummer

I just bought a new Chinook carbon boom. I'll check it when it gets here. That is a bummer.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Borat Award Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:

I also removed one shackle. It is a little bit less bullet-proof, but definitely lighter.

We are all set and ready to sail now.

Have you tried it on water yet?
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Test Day Reply with quote

I originally did not intend to test it today.

I was planning to test and adjust my new X type 8.2 north sail instead. I bought a bigger sail to windsurf later in the day when temperature are cooler. Is it over 100 F here with high humidity level. I can't even put my foot on the sand because it is so burning.

But since you ask, I did test it.

It does work with my easy sail 7.4

It did not work with my North Sail 8.2. I just did not have enough strenght for tensionning it.

But I kept my device as it is and use the other hole in the sail to tension the sail. I was lucky that the x type northsail has a second hole. Basically, once the rope has been passed in the cleat, pass it through the other sail hole and pull very hard then release, the cleat will hold everything under tension. I know you are impressed. Will take pics next week. I am already carrying so much stuff under the sun.

Is it because I have not sailed for a month and my muscles are failing ? or is due to sail characteristic ? I don't know yet.

The good thing is that the cleat, screw and everything hold very well despite the tension.

Borat Award for myself and double serving of Kebab for everyone else.

I can't wait to try my new self-made DIY uphaul mechanism middle east style. Stay tuned !
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Meanwhile in the Middle-East Reply with quote

To all my fans in the Middle-East and around the world,

Here is a pic finally (I know the whole forum has been waiting for it) of my boom-end-rigged-in-2-seconds of my 8.2 sqm sail. I forget to take my camera last week, so I could not do it earlier.

There is no need to pay attention to the white tape I added to prevent cutting my hand with the screw when I jibe (I realized that since I do not jibe, there was no need for it).

I sailed gracefully, confident enough not to carry a screwdriver.

Maybe, to convince the sceptics, next time, I shall upload a pic of my sail fully rigged.

On a separate note, I had a jellyfish sting. I was told that heating it would kill the poison. I just did that with a flame thrower. It does work, but I must admit it is not for everyone.

I have made progress since my early beginning. I remember I used to I forget to remove the fin cover before sailing.

RebornBoomEnd.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.63 KB
 Viewed:  16526 Time(s)

RebornBoomEnd.jpg

techno900

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful that the line isn't cut by the hole you drilled through the boom end. File the rough edges, but in time, even a smooth hole will chafe/cut the line so keep an eye out/check the line before every outing.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Yes, Indeed Reply with quote

I agree with you.

I was thinking about inserting a plastic tube in the hole I drill in the boom to prevent the line from being cut.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a WTF moment middle-east-style

Everything was going all right with my new rig-the-boom-end in 3 seconds. was able to be the first at sea, and today, just discovered the rope was worn out !

So what to do now ? use barbed wire?

I am planning to use my harness lines as they are covered with PVC.

ThinLine.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.68 KB
 Viewed:  16294 Time(s)

ThinLine.JPG

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need stronger line.

Like 12 strand woven dynema 4mm,

this is used as well:
http://www.bigwinds.com/sup/category/11/product/842

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: