myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind at Coyote or 3rd tomorrow (wed 9/25) and thu 9/26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Wind at Coyote or 3rd tomorrow (wed 9/25) and thu 9/26 Reply with quote

We had a kid this summer and I've only been able to windsurf a couple times. I have a chance to go once this week. My options are Wed Thu or Fri.

I'm looking at the windalert SFO sensor and tomorrow looks intense. I drove by Coyote at 8AM and it looked sailable already.

I've found I have to apply some "filtering" to the forecast, for example it says it should be 6-15mph for 9am today but its already blowing a steady 20.

The forecast for about 6pm Wed says 16-31. If that's true, it sure sounds like it'll be too gusty to be fun. And if the forecast is low compared to the actual wind, it won't be sailable at all for me, since the smallest sail I've got is a 4.0.

Thursday is 10-16mph which, applying the filter, sounds like it'll be in the mid 20s in actuality Smile which would be perfect.

Thoughts?
fitek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went by both Coyote and 3rd yesterday and saw sails from 3.3 to 5.0. 3rd looked awesome, so I'm gonna head there with a 4.0.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always best to check the wind meters before going. Forcast is for strong wind like yesterday, but as you know the windgod may have a different plan depending on time of day.
You'll need to launch from the swim area beach or the beach at the end of the cove. The main launches are in process of being replaced due to new seawall construction.
fitek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind sure was strong @3rd, I got thrashed by the gusts, wasn't that much fun.

I used the 4.0, designed for a 375 mast, on a 400 mast. it felt "wrong."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: