myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carbon booms Preventative Maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Carbon booms Preventative Maintenance Reply with quote

Hi! Maybe everyone already knows this but just a heads up. If you have an older set of Chinook carbon booms with the Triple clamp front end. Remove the Stainless Steel screws on the front end and inspect the screws if there is any rust stains replace them with new 10-32X1" SS Screws. Had one side of the booms Screws shear off and caused the boom to come apart at a high rate of speed!Shocked In the process shatter the tail end piece. The tab for the arm is still in good shape so just a matter of replacing the screws and getting a new tail end piece. New screws $1.20, broken tail end piece $230.00, a great day of windsurfing PRICELESS! Cheers!
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found broken/rusted screws to be an issue also with the triple clamp. I ended up replacing all the screws on both of my chinook booms. I also discussed with my dealer/friend and he told me that that was a common problem that they discovered with the chinooks - probably due to cheap screws.

Another thing to inspect are the holes in the boom arm and tail piece where the adjustment pin engages. The holes will elongate over time and I suspect could potentially break through. The holes in one of my tail pieces was very ovalized when I inspected it. My solution was to add a second adjustment collar to the boom arm a few inches forward of the existing collar (so each arm has two pins). This spreads out the load to double the surface area. I posted some pics of this on the forum. Here's the link.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24362

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: