myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Long Island Sound -! Mainland side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bauchin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Long Island Sound -! Mainland side Reply with quote

I just moved to Bronxville NY and was wondering where I might find water access/ windsurfing on NY/CT side of Long Island Sound? Glen Island is only place I've heard of so far. Any suggestions.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the Yahoo Long Island Windsurfing Group. Most everyone in it sails from Long Island (the sailing is better) but a number of members are based on the northern beach. You have to join, but you should!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/LongIslandWindsurfer/

katiedog

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY/CT is tough,not much access and the west/nwest is offshore.The n+seast were always the best for me.u can get s/w thermals though.Access has changed since I sailed there.We used to have access at playland park ,and there was a boat ramp at Milton pt.next to American YC w/little parking,that was 25+years ago.LI in the fall for N/W and south shore if u can for ocean,although a haul for a day or less sesh.Good luck
feuser

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katiedog wrote:
NY/CT is tough,not much access and the west/nwest is offshore.The n+seast were always the best for me.u can get s/w thermals though.Access has changed since I sailed there.We used to have access at playland park ,and there was a boat ramp at Milton pt.next to American YC w/little parking,that was 25+years ago.LI in the fall for N/W and south shore if u can for ocean,although a haul for a day or less sesh.Good luck

It seems like CT "commuters" to most spots on Long Island do just as well as Manhattanites like myself. I count 90 minutes from escaping the office/home to the beach, including equipment pick-up in storage.

It used to be a little less, but keeping gear in the office can be a strain on your coworkers. Wink

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to sail from the Longshore Club in Westport CT. If I recall correctly, it's for town residents only but there may be a day pass.
katiedog

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go far to kite/sail ,90 min.1 way is a haul for me.over 20 is a pain
chipny

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: believe it or not hudson river has alot of regular sailors.. Reply with quote

somebody is sailing almost every day their is wind.
from orchard beach bronx to CT shore to croton to points north kingston
they also commute down to long island occasionally

try their yahoo group..
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/HudsonRiverWindsurfers/

join one group and you get free access to the other as well.
totally worth it.
its free!
windrockwater

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few places along Long Island sound that you 'might' be able to sneak out on. Parking is always a big deterrent everywhere.

I am in lower Westchester too. And even though i am minutes from the Sound, I drive up to Norwalk (Calf Pasture Beach) or Fairfield (Jennings Beach or Penfield Beach). You can get access there particularly if you buy a season parking pass. Norwalk seems to always have a few people there which is nice. Sailing alone is not fun for me anymore.

There is a kayak launch spot near the Read Nature Sanctuary which is inside of Playland Park. But its very very rocky at low tide. You can also launch at the end of Milton Point in Rye but you are launching into a mooring area and there is only 4 or 5 parking spots.

You can buy a day use parking pass at various places. In Westport they told me it was 50$ a day! Shazaaam!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: