myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Ten Commandments
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"4. Used quote symbols in 2009 in a debatable manner Chandler wasn't aware is valid."

Although isobars still leaves himself some wiggle room in the above statement, this is the first time that he has admitted that his comments at the time could be tallied in the "substantive errors" column. That's a big move for him to actually come clean. As far of the validity of his original quote, I gave him a solid opening at the time to instead offer his interpretive opinion of what occurred in Senator Hillary Clinton's questioning of General Petraeus in a Senate hearing. She certainly didn't call Petraeus a "liar" as isobars quoted her as saying.

About the 9 "mistruths and inanities" that isobars listed concerning rigitrite, no worries really. I think that they all reflect isobars' view and opinion about what was said. I certainly don't consider rigitrite's comments to be mistruths or inanities. Moreover, I serious doubt that others here would disagree, even considering those on the right here.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#10 makes me think of global warming, hmmm, wonder why?
Sorry, slightly off topic, continue.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too was wondering about number 10 .... especially the validity of the popular perception that todays boards are so superior to the boards of yesteryear.

It naturally follows from that 'fact' that windsurfing must now be far more satisfying than previously.

Isn't that conclusion 'begging the question?' (Number 4.)
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, when I discuss the frightening possibility that I may have erred in a post and/or point out others' errors, I look (usually in vain; you'd think I'd learn) for others' proof of accusations of my infallibility.

As usual, no surprises. mac wrote:
a few things that Singer actually said. ... I agree with him that the models probably exaggerate because they don't account for evaporation and cloud cover, and disagree on CO2. But he says, very clearly, that "as carbon dioxide increases, you would expect a warming"--the exact opposite of Isobars summary.

In fact, mac's extended Singer quotes support my CO2/warming claims, that as CO2 rises, its effects on temperature plateau. Odd, too, that after claiming repeatedly that Singer destroyed his own credibility, mac now quotes him as an AGW reference.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now he has visuals?
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
Sometimes, when I discuss the frightening possibility that I may have erred in a post...

Mikey, is your ego so fragile now that you must resort to a self portrait?

(Shades of dearly departed Brucie.)

(Oh, wait..... I think that's number 2.)

mac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only suitable picture is Mo's of the head placed where the sun won't shine and facts won't get in. Mike Fick deigns to sort of read what I posted, and then gets it pretty much wrong. I'm not angry about this; I think the obfuscation of the righties when they are caught in a misstatement or insensitivity is hysterical. So here's what the Fickster claimed:

Quote:
In fact, mac's extended Singer quotes support my CO2/warming claims, that as CO2 rises, its effects on temperature plateau. Odd, too, that after claiming repeatedly that Singer destroyed his own credibility, mac now quotes him as an AGW reference.

What I have said is that Mike Fick's mischaracterization of the conclusions of Singer, and Bjorn Lomborg destroys Fick's credibility. On the latter, Iso partially quoted (and may have even read some of) Lomborg's book "Cool It", without acknowledging a later book where he recanted much of what he had claimed in "Cool It"--but then claimed he could fix the problem.

Singer did in his own credibility later in the PBS interview where he basically said that we should just lie back and enjoy the heat. Talk about crony capitalism--on a planetary scale. Wheat producers in Canada will benefit, and the people that will drown are poor and live where they shouldn't? Kind of like giving Exxon and their friends a plenary indulgence on a planetary scale?

Skeptics and shit-stirrers play a valid role in developing science, and should be paid attention to--even if they are paid by the industries in question. But that, of course, is what peer review is all about. Scientists like Singer, and commentators like Lomborg, plow the popular culture field where they plant seeds in the minds of the pre-brainwashed. When they avoid the rigors of peer review, or repeat whoppers, they lose credibility. I don't consider Singer a source--he cited things about ocean acidification and cloud cover that were commonly known as problems with modeling--he didn't discover them. Becoming an apologist for the industry is very different than counseling caution in response.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote, ' Mike Ficks mischaracterisation of the conclusions of Singer, and Bjorn Lomborg destroys Ficks credibility.'

What credibility?

He repeatedly claims to have killfiled dozens of posters, MAC INCLUDED, and won't have them grace his computer screen. He then quotes Mac, to argue a point, which he thinks Mac has got wrong! (Conveniently hiding behind his killfile claim on all the occasions he has been shot down in flames for being wrong, and for which he has no answer.)

Credibility zero!
joew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pueno, Bruce Swift is gone, may he rest in peace, with his departure, your raison de etre on this forum has ceased to exist. We bicker, we banter, we rant, we rave at, and with each other, but we all share the singular and pure form of sailing experience called windsurfing, we are family, come back when you are one of us, till then, go back to the figure skating forum, you know, where you met Brucie. (AMF, yes kinda harsh)

Last edited by joew on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joew wrote:
Hey Pueno, Bruce Swift is gone, may he rest in peace, with his departure, your raison de etre on this forum has ceased to exist. We bicker, we banter, we rant, we rave at, and with each other, but we all share the singular and pure form of sailing experience called windsurfing, we are family, come back when you are one of us, till then, AMF!!!

Hey, Joey, notice that I now confine my posts to this narrow section of the forum for that very reason.

AMF?? Really? I like you, too, Ace.

I'll do what I want. ┌∩┐

Figure skating? No idea what that is... maybe you could explain from your experience with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: