myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Shredder or Fanatic ultra shark 291
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I worked at a Screamer dealership (Mistral) for over 10 years. NEVER owned a Screamer, refused boards given to me by the rep.
I am NOT a Screamer fan, by any means.
But the 5 or so Syncro's I've ridden, dog slow, like a Hypersonic. I"m the guy who spoke out against Hypersonics on the Starboard forum, to the point I got banned. Dog slow again, very smooth, worthless for speed, good for beginner short boarders.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you mention gybing. That, in fact, was my main disappointment on re-trying the old Screamer. I'd always remembered it fondly (compared to the dedicated slalom boards of the time) but, sadly, I felt that some modern shapes are now better.

My two best gybing boards are now the 08 Exocet 118, (bought on the strength of the enthusiastic Boardseeker online test), and the original 05 Evo 74.

Perhaps they are too good at gybing, and make us lazy, but I'm not alone in thinking that the old Screamer is 'of its time.' Two comparitive tests (Boardseeker was one) of old Screamer head to head with modern equivalent, basically came to the same conclusion.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tests are pure BS.
Remember, those testers couldn't jibe when the Screamer came out, and only recently learned to jibe, plus, they're selling the new stuff, not the old.
Notice your slalom jibes are best done with 118 liters. Could you be a big guy who never could jibe 100 liter boards?
The fact you can jibe a wave board means only that it jibes with a slashy turn, not a full planing high speed jibe that comes out almost as fast as the entry.
And if you can't jibe it, you wouldn't like it, would you?
A better sailior might be able to jibe well with your Syncro AND with and old Screamer, and might prefer the faster top speeds of the Screamer.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD is right in saying that Mistral modified its late version Shredder, Sceamer, and Stinger models to incorporate a more standard designed mast track and finbox components. It must be remembered that these thermoformed product designs were retained for a number of years to cover the high cost of the molds. So the design and manufacture of the revised mast track and finbox could be accomplished at the less expense component level and could later be integrated in the original cavities created in the board. While it could be that some changes were needed in the master molds, they could ultimately be handled through relatively minor changes to the master molds.

Lastly, if the Shredder happens to have the aluminum mast track, it's not always possible to simply use the threaded portion of the adjustable carriage to end all problems. I had a Stinger where the adjustable carriage component started to fail allowing it to move forward while sailing. Although the problem can be dealt with by making some simple custom parts like I did, it can be a bit of a problem to address and resolve.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stick two pieces of wood in front and behind the track to set it in place.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Zirtaeb, been busy and just checked before hitting the sack.

You are unfairly attacking my stance. I used my old Screamer (masttrack and wide point forward) through the early 90's with pre twist sails, and loved it for its all round appeal, and gybing and jumping. Those were the fond memories I had of it on re-use last year, and which I found disappointing, compared to current better boards. (I noted the Exocet Cross 118 and Evo 74 in particular.)

I'm a normal competent gyber, same as most at our sailing spot, who makes some (but not all) fully planing gybes, even if I do sometimes come out full tilt clew first- but why not, it's all fun.

All I can say is that I prefer the feel of a couple of my newer boards over the olde Screamer, as do most others who used to sail them, but now keep them stashed away somewhere as old loves, cast aside for younger models.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you guys mentioned speed... I always thought the Screamer was wicked fast. A few years back, I set a personal best on a 2007 Screamer 116 within the first few minutes of sailing it (32.4 mph). It also jibed very well, although best with a smaller fin than the stock fin.

I sailed Synchros only a couple of times, and would have thought them to be a bit slower. But just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a post by Denis where he posted a top speed of 44.5 mph (38.7 knots) on a Synchro 105. There are not many windsurfers in the US who have ever gone this fast.

Many slalom and freerace boards have to be sailed fast, and are terribly when you try to sail them slow. But some boards with a bit of wave rocker are perfectly happy going slow, and might give the wrong impression of being slow boards. I thought of my Tabou 3S 96 as being slow - it's perfectly happy sailing along at 15 knots in waves. Then a while later, I put a slalom fin in, used the outboard straps, and got one of my fastest speeds ever on the same "slow" board (30 knots). Even then, the limiting factor clearly was me and the sail, not the board.

More often than not, I choose the 3S over my slalom board even when going for speed, especially when it's a bit bumpy or I'm a bit lazy. For my limited skills, the top speeds are very close, and the 3S makes sailing easier and more fun. Seems a Synchro might be similar.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On re-trying my old Screamer (an early model without deck pads, and with the twin rear footstraps one ahead of the other) last year, I used a modern loose leached rig. It occurs to me that may have caused the disappointment to what I'd fondly remembered it to be like.

The wide point and mast track are both forward, to suit the more back-handed tight leached sails of the time. Those sails certainly worked on it, and gave it that 'edge.'

I'll try and dig out one of my old tight leach 5.5 sails and old epoxy mast, to go back to exactly as I used to sail it 20 years ago, and give it another try. If I can still do as I did on it then, I'll fling all my newer 'easier' boards in the trash can, and burn off all these lazy sods on fat boards!

But I won't bet on it. Progress isn't just an illusion, surely?? On the other hand ........
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then newest cambered sails still work great on the old boards, wide point forwards, track a mile forwards. You just move the track back from where you used to use it.
And the OLD sails, like 1988 Windwing races, and 1990 Waddel races, work great on 2012 slalom boards, like the RRD and Isonics.
You just have to know how to make it work.
Both examples are being ridden currently at Berkeley, to the satisfaction of the riders. Both riders also have more modern sails, as modern as '09.
I used to use my GaastraRace 5.7 from 1987 on the 2003 Kinetic slalom board, and it worked fine......as a 6.2 replacement.
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did the explosion/energy thing for the top speed while my brother did the shredder/screamer thing. he was gibing way before me. be aware that modern sails will probably have to run way back in the mast track to work well, and 30 cm is about the safe limit of fin size you can put in the shredder E-box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: