myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Shredder or Fanatic ultra shark 291
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly... new sails and old boards, you run the track all the way back, use a pointer, not a blade 12" fin max, 11 is plenty for most sailors up to 7.5. Pointer fins are wide aspect, blades hi aspect.
Old sails in new boards also work great. Run the track 2" farther forwards, raise the boom the same amount more than normal. Talking 1989 race sails. Old 5.7's are about equal to new 6.2-6.7's.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up date on re-use of old Screamer.

Wanted to re-try it in two different conditions. a) highish wind bouncy B. & J. b) flat sea, strong gusty offshore.

Used it today in latter. (strong gusty offshore), in almost identical conditions to two days ago on the Exocet Cross 118. (My favourite gybing board.) I also used the same 5.3 modern North sail to give a fair direct comparison.

Briefly, the Screamer proved thoroughly satisfying, (aided by old memory lane type feelings), and when blasting fully powered it was as simple to use as any modern equivalent.

It had one obvious drawback when the wind was gusty in that it couldn't easily bridge the gaps between the gusty bits without dropping off the plane, and my scurrying forwards out of the straps. (Narrow tail and wide point well forward.) The wider modern board smoothed it out.

But, it had one surprising plus point in that it really didn't matter, in that the instant you hit the gusty bit (or it hit you) the kick up the pants anbd shoot off was great! It put a definite edge to its performance.

Gybing. Not so sure! Both the Screamer and the cross do it well, at speed, but I really do like the 118's 'eagerness' (for want of a better term) to bank and keep that stoke. It's my acquired taste!

Speed. A big surprise!! In a sustained gust I locked the Screamer down and went for it, and would have sworn that it felt as though it was topping 30m.p.h. In reality, the Garmin showed just 27.4 m.p.h. That is slower than my best Syncro 104 speed which, at that time, didn't even feel so fast.

Perhaps memories of the Screamers speeds are coloured by its more edgy feel, compared to fast but steadier modern wide boards?

Today showed that the Screamer can still 'do it all' with modern rigs, in what may have been its least advantagous conditions. I expect it to show its real worth in solid B.& J. use. Can't wait!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: