myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freestyle Fin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Freestyle Fin Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide which freestyle fin to buy for my 107 Fanatic Skate.
The options are MFC Freestyle Pro designed by Gollito or more traditional freestyle fin MFC Freestyle. I'm leaning towards 20cm length. It will be mostly used with 5.6 and 5.2 sails.

Do you guys have any experience with these two? Which one would you recommend? Is there a different fin you like better?

I'm just starting with freestyle and can't do any new schools tricks yet.
thanks
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makani fins "Koi" - 21 cm. I tried the 18 cm fin and found it really hard to ride, but the 21 cm is substantially bigger and is pretty fun. Makani fins are less expensive than MFC fins too. Louis will give you a deal if you order a couple of em = even cheaper.
I use the 21 cm Koi on my 105 l. Goya One. I liked it so much I bought two sizes of Kaku wave fins for my smaller boards.

jayturcot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into freestyle effectively this year... first attempt at a vulcan... to first vulcan... no working on spocks.

Weight: 170 lbs
Board: 99L Skate

The stock fin is 22cm and is what I tried on my first 4 or so days of vulcan attempts... then I switch to a smaller fin and never looked back

Fin I'm using now is a 15cm Kaku weed-freestyle fin (purchased for when I was windsurfing in a weedy area). Probably the equivalent of a 16-18cm freestyle fin. If you're looking to do tricks, I found at least that the smaller fin helped.

I was told that with good technique, I should have no problem vulcan'ing the 22cm, but on the 15cm I found sliding was easier, and happened more consistently. I did not notice any negative effects to my upwind performance, but I windsurfing in the bay area so generally am out on 4.2-5.0/99L with the 15cm. Generally flat water with little to no current so no need to really fight upwind.

Life sucked when I tried using the 15cm with my 5.7. Went back up to the 22cm in that case. It's been a while since I used the 22cm in <= 5.0.

20cm seems right for your bigger sails/bigger board.
shamran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for bringing Makani fins to my attention. I've just ordered three fins. They don't have to be different sizes of the same model to get $50 off. This company has really good customer service. If the fins are as good as the reviews say I will recommend Makani fins to all my friends.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed to Makani a few years ago and never looked back. The ONLY non-Makani fins I have are the MFC freestyle fins. Once they get beat up I will be changing to Makani.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choco Fins are sweet also. Super happy with mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: