myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longboard Vs Formula
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the key here be the sail sizing?
Neither board comes close to planing in winds less than 17 if you insist on using a 5.5.
So, onto your new 7.5. If you weigh anything around 160, you can plane with most Formula boards, 60 cm fin, 7.5 sail, in winds around 13-16 MPH, less in knots.
On a longboard, Equipe, Ultra/Cat/comp, with a 7.5, about the same. Qualify that daggerboard up planing. Planing with dagger down is akin to dragging 9' of weeds behind your fin.
Non planing, longboard is more fun, because you have more angles and can play with dagger settings.
Local CalCup Formula races have been won by the best sailor using a 7.9 NeilPryde sail......against competitors using 9.2 thru 11 meter sails. Nobody here uses their 12 meter sails for racing.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I give you a suggestion instead: why don't you get the best out of that Funster first?! It's a good board for light wind, you just need bigger sails. That board is rated for up to 10.0 m. Don't be afraid to go big on the sails and small on the boards, you'll be amased how fast you'll progress.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where does OP sail ?
perhaps someone can let him try
longboard
bigger sail on Funster
??
sounds like OP wants to go in 10 to 15 knots
which for most of us is before short board
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there isn't enough clearance to run the long formula fins where you sail, you're done choosing quickly.

The Kona One and 9.0 was mentioned. The Kona One is an interesting design - it has a stepped tail which makes it plane up like a large freeride board. I stuck an old 9.0 NP Streetracer on mine and it was the best thing since sliced bread in light winds, lots of fun in flat water. Not sure if Aerotech still sells the Zephyr 9.0 and the aluminum boom for One Design racing, but that's what I bought to replace the Streetracer. It's a total dog, hate to say that, but that's how I see it. So my advise here is to get a cambered sail with a carbon boom and a good mast, stick it on a Kona One and go cruise when it's light or blast when it picks up a little.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18, the zenith is a specialty sail. when we first tried some in the gorge for photo shoots we trimmed the tensions much like we would any other sail. it needed piles of wind with lotsa tension. we kept lowering it. then we got some horse power out of it. when applied to long boards it does pretty well. you may want to search for some trimming techniques online. i don't have interest in racing, so i don't have those links at the top of my mind. more than this is available with thorough searches, right? http://www.konaone.com/page/723/tuning-/

sorry for the typo. cheers.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
Both, because if you are like me you will want the other one as soon as you try either.

Neither yet, because it sounds like you haven't sailed with anything bigger than 5.5 which is pretty small outside high wind locales. You will really enjoy the board you have more with a bigger sail. I have never sailed a Formula board (excitedly waiting for my Ultrasonic) - but I think you would get more out of a longboard first.

Best answer. Cool

rgomez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I best best option here would be to use the best of both worlds...a longboard in non-planning conditions and a wideboard or formula for planning.

I think the longboard with my 3cammed 7.5 will go like a rocket in 5-15 knots while my funster gives me few mins of planning through the gusts....currently with my 5.5 and funster i plane at around 18-20knots...im guessing with my 7.5 I would plane at 12-15 knots

I think i should also mention at my weight is at 140 pounds and my skill level is more of an intermediate even though I have been using beginner equipment for the past 2 years.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can plane in 12 knots ...
how often would you go out in less wind ??
ROI = return on investment
why bother with less wind - unless u like longboarding
personally finding it difficult to find long boards these days ...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if one lives near the surf, side off and 10 knots with a 12 foot swell is priceless on a long board. esp the windSUP 11'8" or the curve 11' 5". but, yes, without the surf option, one has to pile on a lot of sail area to make the racing long board or FW interesting.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

I think i should mention my weight is 65kgs and im more like an intermediate (2yrs now) on really old beginner kit.

I have tried using a 9m sail but I found it way to cumbersome to uphaul so Im definately not interested in going beyond my current 7.5m.

For what I understand longboards will glide better in low winds and formula will plane when the wind is a bit decent (15 knots..im guessing with my 7.5). Any idea how many knots I would require to plane on the longboard with a 7.5 3cam sail?

The issue here is that I windsurf every weekend...wind or no wind and Im starting to think I will have more hours of fun on a longboard than a shortboard because our winds rarely exceed 15knots through the year.

On another note, I've noticed some of the older boards on ebay like the fanatic viper and mistral screamers are pretty narrow...not very long and fairly light....Im sure sure if these qualify as longboards but im guessing they should perform the same as longboards in low winds.

Im basically looking for the lowest weight/volume board out there that can give me the maximum fun for our low/medium wind conditions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: